Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Builder track world… DIY advice please..
  • slackalice
    Free Member

If anything, the board will shrink, rather than expand. Unless it was an air dried/seasoned piece? I’d imagine at £130, it was air dried. I know the mill the OP went to as English Woodlands and so long as they were informed as to what the board was required for, they’ll have supplied one that is reasonably stable.

The only potential issue would be cupping, or curling, of the board as it dries out any further to suit the conditions of the room. Depending upon how you orientated the board, in terms of whether the growth rings as seen on the end grain, were concave or convex, will generally give an indication of its likelihood to curl up or down. That you have fixed the front of the board very firmly to the masonry, the back edge is the one that will move, if at all.

Rule of thumb when fixing any boards, either horizontally or vertically is to orientate them so the end grain rings are in the concave, ie ‘heart out’. This will generally mean the boards will then curl in, towards what they’ve been fixed to. It’s a rule of thumb however and the wood will ultimately do what it likes in terms of twist, curl or whatever, as much depends upon where the tree grew, how it grew and what part of the tree the board was cut from.

Ideally, ask for a quarter sawn, or rift sawn board. The growth rings are then vertical in cross section and the boards are much more stable.

There are lots of ‘woodworkers’ about nowadays, very few are ‘carpenters’, or engineers who use wood. And like any engineer, if you don’t understand the material you are working with, then the luck factor increases.

Building wooden boats and green oak framing are very similar in terms of understanding how you can use the material properly to help achieve a well engineered and strong result. 😀

DrP

It was a quarter sawn piece – the chap at Cocking told me all about it after I told him what it was to be used for. As you said, the rings are pretty much vertical on the end grain.
    The ‘way up’ of the board was really dictated by the ‘angle’ of the waney edge. But like you say, the vertical rings mean it can go either way up!

Quick breakdown..the wood plank was £68+vat, and milling/planing/sawing another £45+vat..I’m loving this – I adore learning a new skill and the vocabulary that comes with it!

Cheers for the input all, will see how it all turns out!

DrP

slackalice
    Free Member

Yep, they’re good people at English Woodlands, I used them a lot when I was in that neck of the woods.

Well done OP, nice job 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Builder track world… DIY advice please..’ is closed to new replies.