Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Builders / DIY types – What is the strongest glue?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I need to stick hooks to the back of these so they can be hung up. What glue would take the weight and would be weatherproof?

They are cast iron pan stands and weigh up to about 1kg.

molgrips
    Free Member

EDIT oh you want to stick hooks to those.. clear household glue should be ok. Or double-sided tape.

steveoath
    Free Member

Would it be better to weld hooks to them? (assuming they’re not likely to resume former duties).

Harry_the_Spider

Would it be better to weld hooks to them? (assuming they’re not likely to resume former duties).

Some of them are brass or other alloy.

kayak23

Epoxy resin (Araldite)

bruneep
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would have said Araldite as well. Should do it.

maccruiskeen

i’d go with araldite – scrape any paint off first otherwise you’re only glueing the paint to the hook. And a gook that gives plenty of surface area

or plate hangers

maccruiskeen

actually…. given the potstands are pierced – screw a hook to the wall and hang the potstands on the hook

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’d scrub that idea and instead hang them on nails driven into the mounting surface.

allthepies
    Free Member

Based on your DIY history don’t hang them above the user’s head in the khazi 😉

Harry_the_Spider

I’d scrub that idea and instead hang them on nails driven into the mounting surface.

Centre of gravity issues and some don’t have holes in.

Keep ’em coming though!

pymwymis
    Free Member

Another for Araldite or similar 2 part product.

molgrips
    Free Member

As above those command hooks, you can use the sticky tabs for lots of things. You can also get velcro to hang things up with, sticky tab on each thing and they velcro together.

jonba
    Free Member

No nails.

maccruiskeen

No nails.

Actually – especuially for outdoor stuff – ‘Sticks Like Shit’ is better – wetter and stickier when you apply it (No More Nails and similar skins over really quickly so doesn’t always get a good grip on the material) and less brittle. If you are using the grip-fill adhesives like No more nails/Sticks like shit/pink grip etc avoid the stuff thats solvent free/environmentally friendly. The only good adhesives are ones with a diagram of a fish washed up on the shore next to a dead tree

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mmmm…the smell as you puncture the film to release the gripfill. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Builders / DIY types – What is the strongest glue?’ is closed to new replies.