Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Builder advice
  • astura
    Free Member

I want to fix some steel rods to the front of an old retaining wall. What fixings can i use to hold the rods against the front of the wall?

tjagain

how much load are they taking? What is the purpose?

astura
    Free Member

Just a fair bit of ground no traffic over, iv just noticed that part of the wall has been built on about an inch of footings so iv dug under it to strengthen it, it already has some rods down the middle but i just want to stick some others on the front but dont know what to fix them on with.

tjagain

I assume to strengthen the wall? steel rods on the front will make little difference I would have thought – in the middle of the wall you get the support of the brickwork. On the front they will just bend if the wall moves I think. you need something much more rigid than some steel rods and all they have to do is be against the brickwork but resistant to bending.

astura
    Free Member

Thanks, wont bother with the bars then and just wallop a load of concrete under it and above it

tjagain

Its only my guess and its not my profession

TheBrick
    Free Member

Are you on about into the bank? Perpendicular to the wall?

drlex
    Free Member

The best solution will depend on consideration of details of the wall and bank, plus budget and how much effort you want to put in. I was thinking counterforts or buttresses or perhaps helical anchors, but not knowing the circs, like TJ, it’s just spit-balling,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Builder advice’ is closed to new replies.