Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Build complete: 20yo Cannondale Fat Lad Retro-Grouch build
  • allankelly

I'm delighted with how this has turned out. Frame and fork off ebay lay in the shed for a few years until I got round to it a couple of weeks ago. Completed yesterday, ridden today.

The black is Hammerite, the cream is Plastikote, the red is vinyl. Frame is 1990 SM-series, perhaps SM600 from the traces of blue paint on the dropout. Fork is a 1990 Pepperoni. Easton bar, Brooks saddle, vintage Hope/Mavic wheels built by me, 16×40 gearing.

I had to increase the steerer thread length. This is a home-made die cut from an old 1" headset race. Hard work, but worked a treat.

The rear axle is reverse-dished to carry a singlespeed cog.

It rides beautifully. Very light and confidence-inspiring.

The graphic turned out well I think.

This'll be seeing a lot of use!

All the photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/allankelly/sets/72157623545029141/show/
    Cheers, al.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I quite like that. No, I tell a lie, I like that a lot.

Not my thing, but I can see the effort you've gone to to make it 'yours' and it's a nice looking thing. The graphics are good too. Subtle and they look rather professional. Nice.

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not being funny but didn't those ones have a habit of breaking, or creaking at the seatpost insert or something?

allankelly

Cynic: well, it's not likely to be getting a pounding! This'll be treated as you'd treat any restored item, with pride and respect 🙂

Cheers, al.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Build complete: 20yo Cannondale Fat Lad Retro-Grouch build’ is closed to new replies.