Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buggered my quads
  • brack
    Free Member

Messing around on my four-year-olds scooter a weekend ago , I tried to save myself from a backwards fall but as a result..felt immediate pain in my left outer quadricep.

The pain was phenomenal

Almost 9 days on I’m still struggling especially in the morning until I’ve taken painkillers

Anyone else strained this set of muscles?

Experiences ?

james-rennie

That’s a big lump of muscle to strain! Is it the muscle itself, halfway up your thigh, or is it at one or other end where it turns to tendon?

brack
    Free Member

It’s mid thigh..

dantsw13

I thought I had last night playing in the village cricket comp, sprinting after a ball. Thankfully it was just mild cramp induced by dehydration.

andybrad

did it last year when attempting crossfit.

put me off the bike for 3 weeks. i cancelled my membership shortly afterwards.

brack
    Free Member

Andy did they x ray/ scan your leg?

martinhutch

Any change in appearance of the skin around the injury? Feel warm to the touch?

If there has been no real change in the severity of pain after a week, I would be possibly be wanting it checked just to exclude the possibility of a deep vein clot.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Did my calf in about 6 years ago running for the phone doing a little ‘shimmy’ around the sofa, felt a crunch in my left calf and immediately collapsed in probably the top 5 most pain i’ve ever felt in my life. I was a cripple, couldn’t walk. Wasn’t sure if i’d just pulled a muscle or snapped a tendon or something so went to A&E, they confirmed it was a pulled muscle, told me to take ibuprofen and try to use it – the worst thing I could do was to isolate it and immobilise it for days or weeks. It was very painful for about 2 days then the pain very quickly eased off and I returned to walking normally shortly thereafter.

I pulled it again though about 18 months later doing shuttle runs in a circuits class, so if I were you let it recover and introduce high intensity training gently and get a few sports massages to make sure all the muscle fibres are healing nice and evenly and not knotted up.

I’ve been wary of any aggressive sprint type of action on it ever since and just accepted i’m no spring chicken anymore and my body can’t take the same punishment it used to be able to take. Getting old is a bummer.

andybrad

brack – Member
    Andy did they x ray/ scan your leg?

nope

Kryton57

high intensity training gently

Does not compute.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Slipped and did a partial tear of one of my quads . Felt like an electric shock every time I put weight on it . The pain went after a while but I am left with a lump on my leg where the detached piece has rolled up . Doesn’t really affect me now and have been advised that it’s not worth doing anything about it . I did look on line and if you have torn it they say you have to get it re-attached very quickly or the tendon will shrink and will be too short to do anything with .

brack
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help guys

No improvement so off to the GP this afternoon to possibly request a scan.

Any fitness tips ….I guess it’s just weight training/body workout for next few weeks ?

brack
    Free Member

So no improvemt – went back to gp

Referred for x ray – nil bony concerns

Kept me in to be reviewed by orthopaedic team – as concerns re ? Compartment syndrome…but discharged as all bloods appear normal – await MRI …? When ?

Today severe calf pain – currently sat in A&E

Have poss blood results for DVT and now going to starting blood thinners FFS

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I did something vaguely similar about fifty years ago, back in the days of plated shoes, toe clips and straps. I was working hard climbing a hill and the back axle broke, the chain jumped, and the bike and I ended up in a heap. The pain felt like a mix of red hot and ice cold. I guess I’d torn the left quad. Walking home (no other option) may have helped sort out the damaged fibres. I must have limped for a week or two, but had no medical attention.

Long-term, that muscle is always first to cramp from salt depletion, I get occasional other twinges, but mostly it seems normal. Well no worse than any of the other dents and scrapes that one accumulates.

martinhutch

Today severe calf pain – currently sat in A&E

Have poss blood results for DVT and now going to starting blood thinners FFS

Sounds like the safest option. Heal fast.

If nothing else, it highlights just how dangerous scooters are. 🙂

brack
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buggered my quads’ is closed to new replies.