Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bugger – Just missed an opportunity to buy a Tornado F3
  • nasher
    Free Member

My Fav aircraft of the cold war yearsand at 37k seems a bargain, then I guess the engines, avionics etc would have been removed, so it will just be a museum piece or something at your front gate..

Speshpaul

With the wings forward I think they would over sail both neighbours, but to be honest I think they would both be happy with that. (I am excluding their wifes…)

showerman
    Free Member

good buy if you have problem neighbours. soon stop causing trouble when you park that in the garden and point it at theirs

icarus
    Free Member

Or you could have had a Harrier,apparently complete in “timewarp” condition for a bit over £100,000 !!

andyl
    Free Member

The harrier is almost flight ready apparently but no mention of the tornado. Would be a hell of a bargain if it has all the engines etc although I guess the running costs are in the £1000’s per hour so the purchase price will soon be eclipsed by running costs if the new owner does intend to fly it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The harrier is cool but there are far cooler jets than the tornado.

Jaguars
    Lightnings
    Viggens
    Phantoms

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Surprised to read it ships with ejector seat intact 🙁 pretty lethal item of equipment.

jambourgie
    Free Member

So could any old buffoon buy that and attempt to fly it from his back yard?

*checks bank balance

Duffer
    Free Member

Surprised to read it ships with ejector seat intact pretty lethal item of equipment.

Somehow i think the explosives will have been removed.

crazy-legs

The Harrier would be pretty cool for the commute. Fewer problems with parking it than with the Tornado…

CountZero

Jaguars
    Lightnings
    Viggens
    Phantoms

Sorry to disappoint, but only one on that list comes anywhere close to a Harrier for sheer coolness.
    None are capable of VIFFing, for a start!
    (To save the Google search, that’s Vectoring In Forward Flight; the jet basically jumps upwards unexpectedly when the thrust nozzles are swung downwards).

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Somehow i think the explosives will have been removed.

So its a seat then?

joshvegas
    Free Member

CountZero thats why i compared them to the tornado not the harrier.

m1kea
    Free Member

If you could rustle up a crane, low loader and a big chunk of bluff/blag you could swipe this Tornado from Shoreham airport.

Apparently it’s the 3rd prototype built.

Kuco

I always preferred the Jaguar.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

They both look great but that Tornado is beautiful!

CountZero

Soz, so you did, reading it while doing something else I didn’t notice the Tornado on the end.
    That’s why women are better at multitasking than blokes… 😉

kcal

My lad would be in heaven if that Harrier ended up anywhere close here; I’ll tell him to get sweeping a few chimneys to save up! Does look lovely..

Buccaneers would be for me — there’s one outside our local filling station..https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48850bbca05ad877:0xc4e08622ff0c4b67!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttp://www.panoramio.com/photo/64256368!5sbuccaneer+petrol+station+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ei=QovWU8q6NaKn0QWR-IDIAw&ved=0CJgBEKIqMA8

richmtb

Ialways thought the Tornado was a pretty ungainly fighter. They shoehorned it into a role it wasn’t made for. As a low level IDS aircraft it was absolutely supreme. As a fighter it was a bit of an also ran in an age the gave us the F15 and the Su27

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Somehow i think the explosives will have been removed

In the UK, civilian operators can legally own ejection seats.

In fact, without a live seat it will be very hard to get a certificate of airworthiness on that harrier.

andyl
    Free Member

Jaguar is a lot prettier than the Tornado. Always thought the fuselage around the cockpit on the Tornado was too lardy. F14 and F111 (much bigger) look better if comparing swing-wing type.

Ps it states the ejector seat is functional.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The jag is a proper single seat pilots aircraft as well, no fly by wire if I remember correctly.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Having done contract work for martin baker and ronaldsway I wouldn’t want to rely on one of those seats 😯

budgierider67

Sorry to disappoint, but only one on that list comes anywhere close to a Harrier for sheer coolness.
    None are capable of VIFFing, for a start!
    (To save the Google search, that’s Vectoring In Forward Flight; the jet basically jumps upwards unexpectedly when the thrust nozzles are swung downwards).

VIFFing was a big propaganda thing in the papers during the Falklands war. It was never seriously considered as a viable tactic.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Talked to an ex squadron leader friend of mine once (not Harriers), he said that Harriers were unofficially capable of viffing but it’s a last ditch maneuver that would bleed to much energy to be realistically useful.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bugger – Just missed an opportunity to buy a Tornado F3’ is closed to new replies.