Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bugger I broke my dog today!
  • PePPeR

Bugger!

My old Border Terrier had to be put down with Cancer before Christmas, and just after Christmas my eldest daughter found an 8 month old Springer Spaniel needing a new home as he wasn’t wanted where he was!

The good news was he was free, the bad news is that in the past 4 weeks he’s been to the vets 4 times!

Eye infection
    Ear infection
    Kennel cough

The final triumph today was 165 miles from home he trips and it looks like he’s broken his elbow!

I was working in Clacton on Sea today so thought I’d take the dog and go for a lovely winter walk along the beach after work. we’d done about 2 miles and were just stepping over a small breakwater and he stumbled and then sat there howling! I had to carry him all the way back to my van and then find a vets in town to get him checked over they stabilised him bandaged him up and then we came home. £100 so far!

Tomorrow I’ve got to get him to my vets and then there’ll be xrays then he’ll need sedating again whilst they put him in plaster.

Ho hum it doesn’t look like I’ll be going on holiday in the summer!

Keef
    Free Member

hope he’s ok,big Karma to you for taking him on/looking after him.

sheldona
    Free Member

🙁 Bummer, hope it turns out good for him!

PePPeR

I hope so he’s a fantastic dog and has really taken to the family in a big way. The younger kids haven’t known what its like having a young dog around so its been really good for them too.

here’s a piccy of him when were out for a walk.

ourmaninthenorth

Get some insurance!

glenh
    Free Member

Always seems to happen in batches! My hound had to go to the vets about 4 times in a month last year. Touch wood – he’s been fine since.

commierider
    Free Member

had to take our springer twice last week, it aint a cheap hobby!

hope he’s ok though.

wormhole

not just M&S cover… but M&S dog insurance cover, can recommend it highly? has literaly saved me thousands? get some today.

skidartist
    Free Member

Springers are great but they are so full-on that trips to vets are a certainty. See if you can persuade the vet to do a loyalty scheme – like you get in coffee shops – four injuries and ailments and get the fifth one free. My friend had to rush his springer to the vets after it found and ate a whole packet of rat poison. After panic calls to the manufacturer of the poison it turned out a fatal dose for a dog that size is about 25kg.

So an important lesson learned – if you have an infestation of spaniels then poisoning them just isn’t cost effective, better to set traps.

Strangelove
    Free Member

I didnt know dogs had elbows

bomberman
    Free Member

they have reverse elbows don’t they?

bomberman
    Free Member

that means you can reverse the charges

PePPeR

Aye his elbow is all wonky!

Oh and yes they are normally the reverse way round to ours!

soobalias
    Free Member

fingers crossed for you both, i hope its a proper break that can be fixed.

hora
    Free Member

Pepper firstly all the best. Currently mine is curled up with his head pressed against the base of my back as I type. Get insurance asap. Although I have come across a few Westies that have had numerous recurring problems possibly due to inbreeding. Too much to type on here but the jist is all these were Kennel club Pedigree ready for show or Kennel club registered breeded etc etc. One Westie (I know yours is not I know) had its ears drilled to relief an ongoing ear infection problem. The owners utterly loved their dog- I did, it was lovely but it struck me as a labour of love. All the best though. I know its not positive but its possible that it was bred from too close a stock and the dog is experiencing inbreeding problems?

hora
    Free Member

Ps. I know what I am implying by my post. If the problems continue. Well. 😕

roper
    Free Member

Bloomin eck.

We got a rescue pup. She had Parvo but got through after a time on a drip and several days stay at the vets. Had kennel cough, worms and fleas too. Fully recovered long enough to get a paw stick in a street drain which managed to break a leg, all within nine months.

You will be pleased to know she has been clean and healthy for a good while and is a great mate to our little boy and a good part of the family.

All the best.

timdrayton
    Free Member

my little millie, luxating patela (dodgy elbow) and eye ulcers caused by allergies

£650 and counting, lovely little thing tho

bruk

Hope it all goes well and he hasn’t broken it through the joint!, Always a lot trickier than a fracture in the long part of the bone.

Still Springers are hardy dogs and young dogs usually heal quickly.

Good Luck

NZCol

Odd looking staellite dish ?

mrsflash
    Free Member

Poor Pepper, get well soon.

Insurance!

Duh! It’s you that’s Pepper, not the dog!

z1ppy

We spent £700 on George (lap/springer cross – the worst traits of both) to have his cruciate ligament fixed – only gets to walk on a lead at the moment 2months in…. if you know anything about springers then you should understand his and our fustration…

Should I mention the hydro-therapy, special food… the list goes on, but he’s worth it. (I think)

harvey
    Free Member

dogs elbows are not the reverse of humans ! they are exactly the same way round .
    as the posts above say – get insurance , it sounds like pepper will make full use of it ! all the best

PePPeR

I’m not an insurance kind of person, I reckon its far better to self insure, ie put the money aside each month and if something happens then it can be paid for, if nothing happens then you;re quids in.

We’ve had dogs for over 12 years and this is the only time an insurance cover would have paid out.

So if I were paying £20 a month for a dog then times that by 12x 12 it I would have paid nearly £3000

this bill (after haggling with the vets this am) is coming in at £500.

PePPeR

Oh and he’s broken his Humerous, through his elbow so its got to be pinned and plated!

chakaping
    Free Member

Poor guy, get well soon to him.

Polly
    Free Member

Poor dog – hope he’s fixed soon Pepper…

but speaking as a springer owner, insurance is a great idea – we are already quids in with ours, and the dogs are only 18 months old.. we’ve had kennel cough, grass seeds in ears, grass seeds in toes and mystery limping

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bugger I broke my dog today!’ is closed to new replies.