• This topic has 27 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Budget torque wrench?
  • BillMC

I am in the market for one of these. Could anyone recommend a wrench that is easy to use and well priced? Thanks in advance

joshvegas
    Free Member

I got one from on one. Its alright.

Its not really difficult to use a torque wrench you just line the red line/window/dial with the required torque setting. Tighten the bolt up until it clicks.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I just bought one of those preset Ritchey torgue keys, the 5Nm one as thats what’s on all my stem and seat clamp bolts

rhayter

I got one of these for occasional use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Part-Cycle-Bike-Torque-Wrench/dp/B004XHXE1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426439378&sr=8-1&keywords=m+part+torque+wrench

It works just fine, but a few of the bits have started to rust very very quickly. But I have loads of different tools, so it’s no biggy. Storing it indoors now (not in the shed).

timba
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sealey STW1012 that works well
    It needed adjusting when I had its calibration checked to get it within tolerance, the calibration and adjustment was £24, but it’s now within +0.31% at its worst
    With the adjustment costs it’s still a budget item when compared to some

dufusdip
    Free Member

Superstar components were doing a Christmas discount and their’s was £25 delivered for a really well made wrench and bits.

Not sure I’d pay full price for any torque wrench unless you need to fit carbon stuff. Or have the mechanical abilities of a gibbon. Actually maybe I should have got one sooner. ..

devash
    Free Member

I also have one of those Sealey ones from Amazon in 2nm – 24nm flavour. Its quite big and heavy but works ok. I’ve not had it calibrated yet but I presume it might actually be cheaper just to buy a new one once it starts losing its calibration.

lornholio
    Free Member

Borrow a friend’s to learn how to feel it. 1Nm = 1kg per 10cm.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

M-Part do a nice one for £50 including a selection of bits.
    Would be able to order from LBS

medoramas
    Free Member

That Topeak one mentioned by jsyng has been working good for me for the last 10 months. “Cheap and cheerful” option, but pretty damn good for the money! I paid £13 in Halfords.

scandal42
    Free Member

Topeak one seems decent for the cash

coogan
    Free Member

I was looking at one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-torque-wrench-set/

Other options here good info too.

muddy9mtb

the wiggle item will take away the hap hazard guesswork of the the topeak item. I’ve got one of the sealey items (made by laser tools item number 3451) and works just dandy – provided you have the 3/8 sockets to match

dpfr

I got the Lifeline one but didn’t get on at all well with it (I am damned if I can tell when it’s reached the right torque), so replaced it with a Park Tools one which was more than twice the price, but doesn’t rip the heads off bolts. I’ve kept the Lifeline one because it has a neat set of different heads but that was an expensive way to get hold of those. Or maybe I am just a gibbon?

eshershore
    Free Member

This is a chinese made torque wrench that is sold under dozens of different “brand names” including PRO, Pedro’s, etc.

shop around, you can pick them up cheap. they work just fine…

chris_db
    Free Member

I got a Clarks one from Machine Mart still works fine with no corrosion although I’ve not had it recalibrated.

ste_t
    Free Member

I’ve got that topeak one – nothing has broken or come loose so seems to do the job perfectly well

z1ppy

Hmm I have an old Norbar (5-40lbf) one that I bought for my motorbikes, just been told it £40 +vat for a recalibration, anyone think it worthwhile getting it recalibrated or just buy one of the option above?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

just out of interest – how often do people get them calibrated? Is is something that needs done after a fixed time period or after a certain amount of use?

johnnystorm

That lifeline one looks identical to the one I bought from On-One (or was it superstar?!) either way mine has a nice obvious click. 😀

zippykona

When tightening stem bolts 5nm really doesn’t feel tight enough.
    The bolts will do half a turn more til I feel it’s tight enough.
    Am I just being paranoid?

andyman
    Free Member

No Zippy – you’re over tightening your bolts. What’s the point of having a torque wrench if you ignore the correct settings 😥 ?

timba
    Free Member

“How often do people get them calibrated?”

My calibration certificate was valid for 6 months. I won’t be having it done that regularly though

LeeW

Calibration depends how much you use it. Do you want it for the bike or bigger stuff? In other words what range do you want?

My labs calibrate thousands of these per year for Aerospace and Automotive companies, there’s plenty of poo out there but if you’re only going to use it a few times per year it’s less of an issue.

Or you could measure the length of your current wrench and calculate the weight you need to hang off the end

z1ppy

Mine is about 20 years old so think it’s due a check (unused and unwound), as I’ve a carbon FS frame coming, I’m gunna get it done.. Looking at the price of a new (norbar) replacement is double the cost of a recalibration (4x that of the cheap units listed above) maybe costly but seemingly worthwhile having a decent tool checked. Not exactly a budget option but..

LeeW

I think I live near you Z1ppy, I’ll do it for cake :))

LeeW

Bump, as I really want the cake.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Budget torque wrench?’ is closed to new replies.