Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Budget router and router table
  • AlexSimon

Hi all
    I fancy buying myself a router and router table.
    Budget is as low as possible, but there’s no point in buying cheese.
    Table will have to be bench-mounted (no floor space).

a) How much do I need to spend?
    b) Is second hand a goer?
    c) Any particular recommendations would be great.

Cheers!

wwaswas

look at trend for the router – I think they have a ‘b’ grade site somewhere. 1/4″ will be fine unless you plan on doing worktop type stuff.

I got one of the ‘cheapy’ router tables from ebay and it’s been ok for basic stuff but I’d probably spend more given my time again – have a look on axminster tools website – they have some decent stuff.

BoardinBob

edit

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

although the trend may be a bit more than you want to spend 😳

samuri
    Free Member

All my routers have the table built in. It doesn’t cost anything extra at all and they can be huge. In fact the table can be as big or as small as I want it to be.

AlexSimon

Thanks wwaswas – the Trend was on my list.
    It seems lower powered than most but highish quality.

I’ve seen it at £79.95 delivered which isn’t tooooo bad, but any lower would be great.

The outlet has them at roughly the same price (C stock at £55+vat+delivery).

So that’s my benchmark for the router – anyone want to offer anything else?

(apologies for posting in wrong forum)

wwaswas

this sort of thing for the table;

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=RYBART3

you can get ‘no name’ stuff that’s similar for less, though.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got this one from Axminster. Its pretty good, quite sturdy, good system of attachments.
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-premier-benchtop-router-table-prod833056/?src=froogle
    It doesn’t come with a switch, which is essential, so add another £20 for that.

I bid on a few on ebay before purchase but good ones went for top dollar and rubbish ones are only £40 new anyway. I Picked up one of the cheap ones from lidl/aldi for the switch (see above) and a couple of the other accessories and it’s actually OK.

As for the router i’ve got this one for the table Draper expert router. It comes with a fixed base and a plunge base. You can leave the fixed base in the table and eaily slide the whole motor out and pop it in the plunge base for hand use. You can also easily drop the motor out of the table to change bits which can be a right fiddle on some tables.

They can be DIYed which might be an option but I decided it wasn’t cost effective if you want a decent fence and other fittings. Whatever you do make sure it has a guard and you use it.

AlexSimon

It was Aldi offers which put the idea in my head in the first place.
    But a quick check made me think they wouldn’t be in-store again until Sept!

Thanks so far!

tails
    Free Member

Second hand Elu from ebay, I have a 3300 bosch and wish i had bought an Elu for £30. Same for the table second hand may well get you something better than the thin steel offerings in most catalogues.

nickjb
    Free Member

Second hand Elu from ebay

Good call if you can find one. That’s where my ELU came from, its so smooth and really well built, really good size router. Apparently they got bought out DeWalt who changed the colour and put the price up.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Buy a 1/2″ collet machine, you can reduce down to 1/4 or 6mm shank bits but you cant go the other way 😀

Get a 1.5 – 2hp motor as well, most of them are speed controlled, but make sure its got a soft start if you ever want to do anything freehand
    In a table its less important.

You can cut worktops easily with something like that.

Once you have a Router, you can make a table really easily, this can be as basic as a sheet of perpex with the router upside down in a bucket and bearing guided cutters, right up to multiple fenced, height adjustable tables that allow you to make more complex items.
    Router Jigs and techniques is a very good book for homemade jigs, tables etc.
    HTH
    Dom

tails
    Free Member

Buy a 1/2″ collet machine, you can reduce down to 1/4 or 6mm shank bits but you cant go the other way

Great advice

AlexSimon

ok – I’ve got a ebay saved search set up for elu.
    I knew they were good, but I didn’t know they went cheapish.
    Thanks all!

project
    Free Member

Trend routers are rebranded Elus,also some of the ones from screwfix are.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

word of caustion on the lidle ones, i have two of them and both router and table are a pain to use. i have a 110v ryobi router and it is a dream. soon as i can i plan to offload the lidle ones and buy a devent table for the ryobi.

nickjb
    Free Member

Buy a 1/2″ collet machine, you can reduce down to 1/4 or 6mm shank bits but you cant go the other way

While I agree that 1/2″ is better than 1/4″ if you are only spending £70 you will get a pretty nice 1/4″ like and ELU or a Trend but a pretty shonky 1/2″ like an Erbauer

overthehill
    Free Member

you after a wireless router? got a BT Home Hub you could have…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d also recommend a used Makita 3612, 1t’s a 1/2″ machine so will take reduced collets to suit small tips too, 1850w so powerful enough for cutting oak worktops if need be with a nice soft start… I have a pair of them which are 10 years old now and bar a set of brushes are still a work horse, must have done close to 2000 sets of worktops between them over the years….

hugor
    Free Member

you after a wireless router? got a BT Home Hub you could have…

I’ve got an old table that you could sit it on.

AlexSimon

I’d also recommend a used Makita 3612, 1t’s a 1/2″ machine so will take reduced collets to suit small tips too, 1850w so powerful enough for cutting oak worktops if need be with a nice soft start… I have a pair of them which are 10 years old now and bar a set of brushes are still a work horse, must have done close to 2000 sets of worktops between them over the years….

Thanks Blazin – there are a few on Ebay, but they seem a bit dearer and many are 110V, but I’ll keep an eye out.

I’m definitely only a hobbyist though – I’ll be using it for a few bits of furniture around the house and that’s about it.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Just be aware…..

You can do small stuff with a Big Router, you cant profile door panels for a proper door with a 1/4″ machine, or cut worktops, or do a lot of other stuff in one pass etc
    A lot of the jigs available are designed for 1/2″ routers with guide plates too, which a lot of the smaller ones wont fit without modification
    Once you have a router and get in to it, you`ll end up buying a big one…just trying to save you some cash in the long run.

Elu liscenced their 900w router (Which is still the benchmark one, lovely to use) to trend

But there are a lot of other out there that are basically rip offs of the original Elu design, and they are far from the same thing in use.
    hth
    Dom

stumpy01

Or you could build a CNC router…..!

I would love to do this!

http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx

tails
    Free Member

Could someone show me which is the Elu 900w router, as trend do a 1000w with 1/4″ or 2000w with 1/2″

The thing I liked about the Elu was it’s size so manageable.

wwaswas

I’ve never had problems with my 1/4″ Perles 900w router (Trend/Elu copy) for most jobs – it sometimes needs two passes to do stuff but it’s a lot lighter and more manageable than a 1/2″ one for most of what I do.

nickjb
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

One more point, these routers have an on/off switch rather than a trigger which makes them great for tables but you need to make sure it is off when you plug it in especially if you are holding it!

tails
    Free Member

Thanks nick that is the Elu I used at uni, so what happened Dewalt bought Elu and that is basically an Elu packaged in yellow. Now trend plus others make copies it’s confusing it would be nice to get a carbon copy of that Elu.

haha! When I was at uni I had set up the spindle moulder and asked the workshop guy to confirm I had set it up properly before putting ££ of sycamore up the extractor. So he comes over turns it on and starts pointing at the cutter, hand getting closer, hand getting very close (he knows what he’s dong I thought) hand too close zzzzzzzzuurp! Luckily it was just a nasty cut, the woodstore guy loped off half his fingers decades earlier.

br
    Free Member

I’ve had a cheap router, then bought a 1/4″ Trend through ebay. No cometition, the Trend is a joy to use.

While a 1/4″ won’t take off the material a 1/2″ will, you can do additional passes.

So far nothing I’ve done has need a 1/2″, but then I’m just home/garden DIY.

tails
    Free Member

One last question is there an Elu copy with a 1/2″ collet before I spend an hour on axmister/Isaac llords website!? Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

I believe the Dewalt DW625 is an old ELU

AlexSimon

stumpy01 – yes, from time to time, I spend a good few hours researching CNC routers and 3d printers.
    I haven’t got a garage or big shed though. I do all my stuff in the kitchen or back yard.
    I’d so love one though!

tails
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll have a look!

enfht
    Free Member

All my routers have the table built in. It doesn’t cost anything extra at all and they can be huge. In fact the table can be as big or as small as I want it to be.

Your geekiness shines like the sun

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Budget router and router table’ is closed to new replies.