Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Budget road bike choice – help please
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Merlin PR7 Vs B’TWIN TRIBAN 500 SE

Can get 15% of the triban so making it £296.65 and topcashback on the Merlin making it £290.

Which is best out of the 2?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Prefer the look of the Triban, and a quick google shows that cyclingweekly and road.cc both rate it highly. Unless you’re up near Merlin it’ll probably be easier to have a test ride on the triban too.

jamiep
    Free Member

Remember the Merlin will cost £30 for delivery

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have the older Triban 5 with the carbon seat stays. I am blown away with the quality, I have done tens of thousands of miles on it now, with the upgraded wheels it is way more capable than me. I have toyed with a full carbon frame but I doubt I would appreciate the difference that much. Lovely lovely bike at an amazing price, I will be buying one again.

Also when you buy it from Decathlon you get points that work out about 10% so I got some shorts and a helmet a month or so later for pretty much free.

AdamB
    Free Member

I have a less-than-3-months old Triban 300, 57in frame if you’re interested. It’s pretty much an identical spec apart from the carbon forks. Lovely looking bike. Yours for £200.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-300-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

I’m selling coz i don’t enjoy road biking as much as i though and want to buy a BMX instead.

iamanobody
    Free Member

i think a 57 would be too small as i am 6ft 1 with a 33″ inseam

iamanobody
    Free Member

bump

rustler
    Free Member

TriBan3 here, the red one.
    Lovely bike.
    Don’t know much about the Merlin.

weeksy

Carrera TDF Ltd edition makes more sense at £190…. I’m 6’0 and it fits like a dream… circumstances though mean I have an option on a lightweight XC29er that will double as winter/road bike.

Used 5-6 times

iamanobody
    Free Member

Can get the TDF for £225 new weeksy with my british cycling membership

iamanobody
    Free Member

Off to decathlon later unless anyone can hit me with a pearl of wisdom before 4pm today on an alternative

globalti
    Free Member

Triban rides really nicely but the wheels are cheese, expect to have to replace them within a few months.

mogrim

I have the older Triban 5 with the carbon seat stays. I am blown away with the quality, I have done tens of thousands of miles on it now, with the upgraded wheels it is way more capable than me.

Yup, that’s pretty much my opinion too. Great bike and great value.

iamanobody
    Free Member

fetched the triban 500se – looks good, feels light ish

will report back when i can be arsed to ride it

iamanobody
    Free Member

Did a quick 50 miles on Sunday – very pleasantly surprised. Great bike for the cash. 6ft 2 and the XL fits with a 120mm stem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Budget road bike choice – help please’ is closed to new replies.