Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Budget Minimalist GPS – anything better than the Cateye Stealth 10?
  • BillOddie

I’d quite like GPS, not really for navigation as I don’t need that for 95% of my riding.

Mainly because I’m fed up of my phone randomly crashing Endomondo and losing chunks of rides.

The Cateye Stealth seems to be about 1/2 the price of the cheapest garmin unit.
    Anyone got one? How do you get on with it as a Bike Computer and how easy is it to get the data of it on a Mac for use with S***a, etc?

Cheers

mtbel
    Free Member

buy a new phone.
    I can’t understand why Garmins are so expensive when a £50 android phone will do everything a Garmin can and way more.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I can’t understand why Garmins are so expensive when a £50 android phone will do everything a Garmin can and way more.

What, like be waterproof, a tiny addition on the stem, battery that’ll last all ride, workable with gloves on etc. etc.?

Bill, if you’re talking about somwething like the Wiggle offer of £45 for the Stealth then go for it. My Garmin 200 had been flawless (£73 from bike-discount.de maybe?) but would be tempted by that kinda price for the Catyeye.

BillOddie

Cheers Breatheasy!

manvstarmac

I had a Cateye Stealth and liked it for exactly the reasons you want it for:

– Didn’t want to use phone batteries on GPS functionality
    – Didn’t need all the other things a Garmin can do
    – Fed up with trying to get a magnet and sensor to read wheel revolutions on old style speedo/mileage computers

It was great for recording, uploading and charged easily between rides on its cradle.

The cradle however was its weakness in my case as it eventually stopped reading and charging. Wiggle were very good at a refund based on it packing in after six months.

I used a Garmin watch strapped to my stem when I sent the Cateye back and realised that configured properly (which I’d never bothered to do as I just ran with it) the watch was just as good as a bike computer as the Cateye was. That’s the only reason I didn’t bother getting a replacement. I have however recommended them to mates with similar wishes to you.

mtbel
    Free Member

What, like be waterproof, a tiny addition on the stem, battery that’ll last all ride, workable with gloves on etc. etc.?

lol.
    breath easy right enough 😉
    I have a wired computer tinier than any bar mounted Garmin I’ve seen which never needs removed or charged.
    My phone’s battery lasts well over 24hours with Bluetooth and GPS on and plays music and receives/makes calls to to my bluetooth headset without ever having to remove it from my zipped waterproof back pocket.
    I don’t wear gloves.
    What are all the etc. etc’s a Garmin 200 does?

Fair enough if you love your Garmin but it seems to cost over £200 to get one with basic features you’d find on any cheap £50 android phone such as a colour display or touchscreen. it’s frightening how much they expect you to pay for anything fancy like Wifi etc.. Like I said, I just can’t see what all that money is actually paying for. As for the cheaper Garmins, they just seem a bit clunky and backwards to me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Budget Minimalist GPS – anything better than the Cateye Stealth 10?’ is closed to new replies.