Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Budget frame required, suggestions welcome
  • exapno
    Free Member

I’ve been considering a new frame for a while now, I ride a Commencal El Camino (2015, small frame) and am increasingly finding it a bit cramped. A layback seat post has improved things slightly, as has rotating the shifter and brakes toward the saddle but I still feel like the frame just isn’t long enough. The forks, wheelset and most of the drivetrain have been upgraded so I’d be transferring all those parts over.

I don’t have much of a budget and was originally thinking of getting a Ragley Marley frame but I missed the boat during the sales and I can’t find them in stock anywhere now. I also missed out on a second hand Whyte 905 frame too. Evans are selling Pinnacle Iroko frames for a good price but the reviews I’ve read are contradictory variously describing it as springy and stiff. The geometry looks good on paper though. I’ve been prompted into action because I reckon next years crop of bikes/frames are going to have boost rear axles and I can’t afford to replace my rear hub/wheel as well. So, a small frame, longer than the El Camino, preferably with 142×12 rear axle for around £200? Suggestions welcome…

dirkpitt74
    jonnyboi

Excuse the stealth ad. I’ve got one of These frames in my shed, but the 2015 version. virtually new inc. BB. And it’s 142×12
    It’s an 18” but comes up small.

£50 plus postage?

superstu
    Free Member

I’d take an iroko all day long, great frame. Miles better than other budget options I’ve had eg an on one 45650b

plus-one

Another shout for the Iroko .. Love mine 8)

That prone frame looks decent ..

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Excuse the stealth ad. I’ve got one of These frames in my shed,..

50 bucks? Good deal! Radon.

Dartmoor was mentioned: the Hornet is a hell of a fun bike. But special so…(very downhill focused)
    Ragley: yes. Many frames sold out right. I wait for a Mmmbop frame (mid 2018 available?)
    Similar company like Dartmoor: NS bikes http://www.ns-bikes.com/frames,9,pl.html
    Commencal: there are frames in winter sale – or? Meta AM HT for around 300 bucks?
    Iroko frame right now around 150 bucks? Can’t do too much wrong there…

jakd95
    Free Member

Don’t bother trying to order the Octane One, I tried twice to order the 29er from CRC and both times after a week of faffing it turned out it’s not in stock, even when the site says it is. A shame as it looks like a decent frame for the price.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought I’d have a look at the Iroko reviews, it does look like a pretty decent frame.

There are two Bikeradar reviews, one calling it “forgiving” and another “stiff at speed”. Both are credited to Guy Kesteven.

Maybe drop him a line for clarification, he’s been happy to give feedback on bikes in the past.

I’d probably just buy one FWIW.

coomber
    Free Member

Like the iroko a lot. Not stiff to me at all

hopefiendboy

Had a similar quest for a new frame.

If the OP isnt interested in the frame from jonnyboi I would be-email in profile if so!

Cheers

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Dartmoor was mentioned: the Hornet is a hell of a fun bike. But special so…(very downhill focused)

My brother has a 16″ Hornet and it’s a proper lil’ ripper of a bike!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

proper lil’ ripper of a bike!

maybe best (HT) frame from Dartmoor

exapno
    Free Member

Many thanks for the opinions and offers, I appreciate all the responses.

hopefiendboy, feel free to pursue the kind offer from jonnyboi, that Radon frame looks great but I fear an 18″ one would be a little tall for me. Given the positive responses, the drop in price to £150, the fact that I already have a 120mm travel fork (Manitou Marvel Pro) and the uncharacteristically supportive understanding of SWMBO (it must be a trick), I’ve ordered an Iroko 3 frame. Of all the suggestions, I think it would suit the kind of riding I do the most and be more compatible with components I already have.

chakaping, any idea how I can contact Guy Kesteven? I’d be interested in clarifying his slightly conflicting comments.

All I need now is a crankset, brakes and stem (current stem is 60mm which wouldn’t suit and the BB is square taper so they won’t be transfered). Time to find some second hand bargains. Thanks for the input gentlemen!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Budget frame required, suggestions welcome’ is closed to new replies.