Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • budget fleeces vs branded fleeces
  • Trekster

The SO wants/needs some new toasty fleece gillet/jackets.

Is it worth the expense buying a proper branded fleece vs high street budget from the likes of Millet/Mountain Warehouse?

Stoner
    Free Member

depends.

some branded fleeces have very specific cuts or use particular material weights such as polartec 100 or 200 etc.

For a basic fleece I doubt there's much in it though.

Some of the cheaper unbranded stuff can feel cheaper – more plasticcy, lower quality fleece material.

Dont underestimate crap zips too.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

IME no it's not worth it, with a fleece WYSIWYG is a key factor.

So if you know what you want and how to look for it i.e polar or arctic fleece, water proof, windproof etc then buy what looks the best quality.

My trespass £20 in teh sale fleece with padded shoulders and elbows which they criminally only made/sold for one season has been to the arctic circle with me and back along with numerous other hiking, climbing & MTB adventures.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My fave fleece (which I often use as a mid-layer for cold winter rides) was one I got from Next in a Christmas sale. Wicks well, dries quickly, it's very warm, fits perfectly. Probably had it 10 years now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a few old Lowe Alpine ones which are still in fine form! Budget ones haven't lasted as long.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've got several polartec fleeces.

Next to no difference between fancy berghaus ones and TK-Maxx ones.

If you aren't fussed about particular colour or whatever, TK Maxx almost always have some in, and they are often branded ones for millets prices.

Joe

mudshark
    Free Member

I have one from Decathlon which cost about a fiver; it keeps me fairly warm.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Fabric-wise very little difference.
    Cut, design-features, anti-pilling and build quality differ and you'll have to check that out yourself – but then again your buying Millets, Mountainwarehouse, Trespass and I consider those to be OK outdoor brands (as opposed to Primark and QS).

scotabroad

http://www.keela.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=79_80&zenid=5ep9p70cmrujjs15mjpfpg3hh5

Try these guys, we got a cheap deal for MMRT to try them out a few years ago and I have found them warm, robust and good value for money. And they are made in Scotland as well.

The high st brands like north face, rab, berghaus are over priced IMO. Craghoppers and Columbia (TK Maxx usually have some) are worth a look as well.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

decathlon sells them for a fiver. they are pretty good.

headfirst
    Free Member

Another vote for decathlon, but they're actually the extortionate price of £8… I've got two that I virtually live in outside of work

monkey_boy
    Free Member

ive had a lowe alpine fleece for 8 years and it still looks brand new.

bene washed a million times and even tumble dried.

colnagokid

TK to the Maxx is your friend for inexpensive (i.e. good stuff sold cheaply) fleeces.
    'Cheap' fleeces tend to have poor cut/crap zips

gusamc
    Free Member

you might get lucky here

http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductList.asp?SearchString=fleece&Filter=1|Womens&AS=true&ProdPerPage=

sadexpunk

i had a gill cycling fleece once that felt yukky. i sweat a fair bit when biking, and every time i took it off, my arms were soaking, and so was the fleece. and took ages to dry out.

are there different types of wicking fleece? some comfier next to the skin than others?

any types to avoid or recommend for that?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

ANother vote for decathlon fleeces…

cheap ones can fit not as well.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

i've used the decathlon cheapies for yonks and they wick really well and are light enough for biking use.

mavisto
    Free Member

I love my Mountain Warehouse stuff. Fleeces, T Shirts and other shirts too. Never had a problem with the quality and the fleeces don't seem to 'pill' like other more expensive ones I've had.

Also like Decathlon. Got some nice cycling gear very cheap when I was in France in July.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Patagonia snap-T are my only fleece of choice.
    MrFC and I share about 6 of them. They range from 10 to 16 yrs old and will probably last us all our lives!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘budget fleeces vs branded fleeces’ is closed to new replies.