Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Budget disc brake advice
  • DaveE

Looking at these brakes for bike i am building for my daughter.
    Hayes Stroker Ryde Brakes
    Magura Julie Disc Brakes
    Which are best and why.
    Thanks

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i have the magura julies and i think they are fantastic. on par with avid xcaler i think in my opinion and half the price!

£100 from merlin i think they were 180mm / 160mm setup

nickjb
    Free Member

How about shimano deore? Should be around £50/end. You might get some LXs on special somewhere.

domwells27
    Free Member

+1 for the deores. Had mine for over 3 years, very good, no maintenance and often go on the classifieds for dirt cheap.

midlifecrashes

I have two sets of Julies. Good stoppers, not noisy, decent feel.Easy enough to work on too, when needed (mine are 05 and 07 so have needed the odd bleed and sticky piston easing over the years). Lever is a nice comfy shape, pads are nice and big so don't wear as quick as some.

epicsteve
    Free Member

+1 for the deores

+2

james
    Free Member

What about avid juicy 3's? They're about £100/pair on a few places I think (merlin/crc)

Hayes stroker rydes have a very on/off grabby feel to them, juicys are the other way with lots of throw before full power, probably a bit too much, but personally I prefer it for not locking up the rear wheel

juiced
    Free Member

magura may look a bit clunky ( at least my louises do) but they are amazingly engineered brakes.love mine. I used mine in the alps and dragged the brakes loads ( yes I know) and only once over two weeks did I get brake pump.Still worked after that too.Not too sure about your model though.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

+1 for the deores

+2
    +3
    Strokers tend to have problems with sticky master cylinders. Julies are reliable though.

Me
    Free Member

I have both- Julies have been perfect from the start, not a lot of modulation but plenty powerful. Never serviced or bled and have been brilliant from word go.

Strokers just look better, levers and caliper just look less clunky than the Julies. There's barely any weight difference tho (at least not enough to feel holding both). Modulation is maybe slightly better, poss less power but I've used different rotors. They have, however, been a pain in the ar$e- one of the pistons is sticky so I've been braking agaisnt the adapter on more than one occasion. A friend has just sent his back, can't remember why but he wasn't happy at all and doesn't want them returned, they were straight out the box.

So… if you're feeling lucky go for the Strokers. Hope that helps!

coylumbridge
    Free Member

avid BB7 – I know they're cable but I find them great, easy to adjust and stop well with F 185, R 160 CRC £55 each

_tom_
    Free Member

I've got a front BB7 I can let go for pretty cheap, choice of 2 rotors as well.

I know it's "only" cable but I'm about 17st and could do 1 finger endo's with it, so it definitely has enough power especially for someone much lighter.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have some Avid Juicy 5s going on sale as soon as I can sort out the replacements. About £40 posted?

Andy_B

I'll take them if Dave E doesn't.
    andrewoncairo at hot mail dot com

ratadog

+1 for the BB7, now have them on 3 bikes, no issues and a lot less hassle for maintenance.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Budget brakes? YOu cannot look beyond shimano.

I'd spend more for hopes any day but for performance per £ – has to be basic shimano

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43693

Edit – unless you are going second-hand when it must be hope minis – as you can get all the parts for them easily and they are easy to rebuild and bleed

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'd have Deore over Hope Mini's any time. Both work well in practice but the Shimano's are much easier to fit. I put a set of Mini's on my Inbred yesterday and had the usual faffing around with washers to get the capiler centrered.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Shimanos ordered and Avids sold.

Thanks guys.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Budget disc brake advice’ is closed to new replies.