Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Budget Brake Pads
  • MatA
    Free Member

Are they a false economy? I’m just comparing the price between say superstar, clarkes & genuine hope pads & wondering the best option.

any thoughts…?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They are good, all the ones Ive had from superstar have been fine. I did get some imperial pads from mtb-direct and they were shit, the backing dropped off them.

MarkN
    Free Member

Always used Disco pads and never had a problem.

montylikesbeer

superstar kevlar are bob on, last an age and are as cheap as chips

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve been using Superstart Kevlar and Sintered for last couple of years. They seem fine to me.

scottalej
    Free Member

I’ve had two sets of Superstar pads where the friction material has detached from the metal backing. I stick with the genuine article now.

thomthumb
    Free Member

disco brakes are ace. like superstar but with customer service!!

rocketman
    Free Member

Not a big fan of Superstar’s pads tbh. They seem to be just a little bit inferior in every way to the genuine pads.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Longest lasting set of pads I’ve used were a set of A2Z ones.

Used Genuine Avid, Goodridge, Clarkes, Superstar, A2Z and Disco. None really stood head and shoulders above the rest.

Have had pads from Avid and Superstar fail – backing come of. This was about four years ago though.

Gone through sets of Avid, Clarkes and Superstar pads in single rides to.

Currently have Superstar in all but one of my bikes. The odd one has Avid pads.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

used Disco which were good now using Uberbike ones and they are good too, loads cheaper than OEM to boot 😀

uplink
    Free Member

disco brakes are ace. like superstar but with customer service!!

Can’t say I’ve ever had the need for any customer service with cheap brake pads, or felt the need to consider it before buying

Never had any problem with any of the budget brands – currently using Alligator pads from XC Racer

Northwind

To be fair Hope genuine pads are extremely good. If you compare Superstar with, frinstance, Shimano OEM then they come out ahead not just on price.

Disco gave me short lifespan, slightly inferior braking and a pad that fell apart, wasn’t too impressed, but that wasa long time ago now.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have some of the new fiberax ones (with the red backing plate) and they are lasting well but are also good at stopping.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Budget Brake Pads’ is closed to new replies.