Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Budapest the do’s and don’ts please
  • postierich
    Free Member

Weekend away this weekend need some info to make it enjoyable,going with a crowd of 20(stag do) but will probably do my own thing during the day.

Ta Rich

Stoner
    Free Member

hmmm, steamy niceness
    http://www.gellertbath.com/

this is the view of the baths from the castle hill on the Buda side of the river

the Central Market Hall is interesting too.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

On the night if you do go to some ‘special’ clubs for the love of god keep very tight hold of that little bit of paper they give you when you go in the door. You won’t get out intact without it. My mates a bouncer and he was genuinely scared when one of his party bought the barmaid a drink (think she bought a bottle of the most expensive champagne….) and refused to pay for it. I think he said several thugs arrived in riot type gear to extract payment.

No hassles, just remember to play by their rules, not yours.

gazc
    Free Member

stechnyani (have no idea hwo to spell it!) baths in the park are ace and outdoors too… great if its cold as the steam fills the courtyard too 🙂

gazc
    Free Member

[/url]Szechenyi

gazc
    Free Member
    kimbers

totally recommend the szechenyi baths pack your swimming trunks

watch out for taxi drivers ripping you off and count your change well

flea market is good fun too lots of crazy ex-commie toys, bric a brac and dodgy war memorabilia

boat trips are cool way to see the place and take a walk up the big hill

juan
    Free Member

that’s very overrated just book the week end for you sasha and imogen to the SSUK so I can pop by and say hello :=)

mboy
    Free Member

Another vote for the baths here. You can happily spend half a day there relaxing! So pack your trunks and a towel.

Cross over the Danube into Buda too, and have a look round the old town. I spent a week there a few years ago, half the time on my own as my friend was working, and just basically walked pretty much all over the entire town, or took a tram. It was a great place to just sightsee, very different to any other European cities I’d been to before.

Oh, and the Restaurants are first class! Honestly, you will eat yourself silly whilst out there! It’s probably not as cheap as it was a few years ago, but I’d bet a decent meal is still about half what you’d expect to bay for over here. And they do know how to cook good food out there. Try some local hungarian dishes, you won’t be dissapointed!

DaveGr
    Free Member

three day ticket on the tube/buses. You can then hop on/off and go wherever you like. From the airport you can get a ticket from a kiosk to get to the end of the metro and then buy the three day ticket. OK, so 20 of you will probably get taxis in from the airport but it’ll cost a lot of money that could better be spent on beer.

http://www.bkv.hu/english/home/index.html

postierich
    Free Member

Ok so apart from swimming what else is there to do on Budapest!Would like to drink in some old classy bars/cafes during the day/evening.

mboy
    Free Member

Ok so apart from swimming what else is there to do on Budapest!Would like to drink in some old classy bars/cafes during the day/evening.

It’s a very cultured city. Just stay away from the usual tourist traps, and you can’t go far wrong!

That said, you’re going with a group of guys on a Stag Do… Good luck finding any culture 😉

barney
    Free Member

With regard to the Gellert baths in particular, but other baths too (the Szechenyi ones exepted, as they’re more touristy – but still ace) – make sure you don’t go on one of the “genteman’s only” days. It used to be every Wednesday at the Gellert, but may well have changed.
    Still a totally ace thing to do though.

There is a whole bunch of stuff to do over there…. I don’t think you’ll ever get bored. Almost a shame it’s a stag do, as I’m not sure that’s the vibe I’m thinking of when I think of it. But what someone ^^ said. Play by their rules, and you’ll be fine. Not sure I’d be totally happy getting 100% slaughtered, though. But then, I’m old.

There’s a railway in the Buda hills run entirely by children. It’s ace – they take it totally seriously, and will happily give you a bollocking if you step out of line.. There are quite a few good trails in them thar hills if you know where to look, but I guess you don’t have time 🙂

Budapest is 100% of ace.

And eat some totatoes. Best tomatoes ever! And great wine, and lovely thick sauces over everything. Had the best Greek meal of my life on the top floor of a Mamut (I think) shopping arcade once. And occasional random throwback Eastern European shops (or there were in 2001, the last time I was there).. and if you go a bit out of the centre to the communist tower blocks, the random communal heating with huge pipes everywhere that makes living space look like an oil refinery..

I’ll shut up now.

Poindexter
    Free Member

Just familiarise yourself with the currency before you go. Gypo taxi drivers WILL try and bambouzle you, we ended up with about 20 cars turning up outside our hotel when we refused to fall for his scam and he radioed all his buddies.

Got a bit scary, but hotel owner knew their game and helped us out.

Went to a cracking open air nightclub on the banks of the river – can’t remember the name but I think it’s quite famous.

barney
    Free Member

Andrassy Utca – lovely street – opera house, and a great coffee bar in (IIRC) the german embassy. Some cool old shops selling ’40s stuff.

The old secret police building a bit further up which has “joy division” carved into the brickwork (the whole street front is made of plaster though; it’s not stone), and Hosok Ter at the end of it with a couple of awesome museums with random gold fronts. Along the street is a very old subway, beautifully restored.

Oh, just buy a book 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Cheers guys, the stag do is on the Saturday when everybody will be there.There are a few arriving early Friday and leaving late on the Sunday so will not be just going to get lashed so hopefully I will get a feel of the city.

grumm
    Free Member

Gellert baths are amazing. Had some great meals there too. Nice place just to wander around really.

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

Me and the missus had a “few” drinks then headed to the island in the middle of the Danube. Pretty place with dancing fountains. We then hired a 4 wheeled tourist killer and razzed round a bit.
    That was a laugh.

djglover
    Free Member

Watch out for the consumption girls

mudshark
    Free Member

I went for a weekend and loved the mix of restored and yet-to-be-restored communist decay. I really wanted to go to Statue Park but didn’t manage it due to moaning wife….

szoborpark

yoshimi

Try ‘Kuplung’ its down an ally somewhere behind Kiraly Utca. It reminded me of an old acide party held in a warehouse. Its really difficult to fing but worth it.

I spent quite a bit of time in there when I went with Mrs. Yosh a few years ago…….certainly the best bar / ambience / insight / way to meet ppl that I dfound there – it’d be top of my list if I went back.

In fact heres a review:

lizalcott
    Old car garage lives up to expectations!!!! Feb 02, 2008
    Kuplung (Clutch)is located in a former warehouse/car braking garage. From the outside you would never even know there was a club there, but the crowds of younger generation alternative breeds flood out of the alleyway and onto the street in the late evening air, ushered in only by the large bouncers who perch neatly on barstools at the alleyways entrance.
    Follow the trail of twenty-somethings and your led down a dingey pathway. You wouldnt notice the entrance into the bar from the courtyard if it wasnt for the ‘Effes’ flouro light in the corner. Entering through the double doors and you instantly feel at home.
    The bar is filled with people, all happy go-lucky with cheap drinks in hand. There are always dogs running around (friendly ones of course), and everyone is keen to learn your story, where youve been, where your going to and how your going to get there!!
    The whole bar is filled with graffiti, artistic yet in keeping with the grungy, interior decor of an urban paradise. There is plenty to keep you amused, table football, pool, and a dj spinning underground dubstep, rock, dance, trance – just about everything! Through the back of the bar there is a live music venue where some of the best hardcore/punk/metal bands have played.

With an amazing atmosphere, cheapest drinks in town, and a basicly tourist free bar, check it out and chill with the locals!!

yoshimi

I wouldn’t worry about the 20 something reference either – I’d have been about 30 when I was there (and certainlty wasn’t the oldest) and was made to feel very welcome by everyone I met…………happy times:)

yoshimi

yoshimi

Oh yes, nearly forgot – hire a bike and head to Margaret Island – for extra fun ride through the ‘council flats’ on the way, bit scarey but fun:)

Margaret Island hosts music festivals and other outdoor events, but when we went for a ride the place was pretty dead – theres like disused abandoned tennis couirts ans swimming pools and structures that seem to have no purpose hidden in the trees. We spent the afternoon exploring and picnicking with our trusty hire pedal back cruisers. It reminded me of a place that had ben deserted after a nuclear attack.

Its also very beautiful, being an island surrounded by the Danube – you could easily spend a day sat on the grass, forgetting where you atre, looking out accros the river pondering life.

My god, I’ve posted a lot here, but memories of such a great time have come flooding back……….I really want to go back!

barney
    Free Member

Me too, Yoshimi – got some very happy memories of the place, even considering I lived there the whole time pretty much with a broken collarbone!

thegreatape
    Free Member

We had out honeymoon in Budapest. It’s one of the best places I’ve ever been for just wandering around and sightseeing. The parliament and cathedral were spectacular. We stayed in the Gellert hotel, which has a special lift down to the spa baths so you can just stroll in in your dressing gown! There’s a lot to see, but like others have said, it is good to have a little book.

biggulp
    Free Member

Great place but spoiled by the people who just want to try and rip you off. Because the money is so out of whack with the pound and euro you do get confused. As an example we had a snack for lunch which came to 450, so I put down a 5,000 and the waiter left me 550 in change. Written down in this post is looks so obviously wrong but when it happens with funny money you can get caught out. I noticed the ‘mistake’ after about 10 seconds and called the waiter back over and before I said anything he took 4,000 out of his wallet and put it back on the table. Take lots of small denomination notes and be careful but have a great time. Oh yeah, some of the baths are notorious gay pick-up areas so be careful. Or is that why you are going 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Budapest the do’s and don’ts please’ is closed to new replies.