Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Bucks Off Road Sportive
  • greasystain
    Free Member

Anyone doing the Bucks Off Road Sportive this weekend?

Can’t wait myself – first full days riding this year 🙂

JamesP
    Free Member

Yep…the 121km monster. Its going to pretty tough but the trails are dry which will help.

Its going to be a cracker!

aP
    Free Member

Might do the 100. Will see after tomorrow as riding 100K then. Will be riding a cx bike if I do.

greasystain
    Free Member

I’m doing the 100km. Not man enough for the 121 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Looking forward to it too! 🙂

greasystain
    Free Member

I’ll be riding with an Eric Cantona look-a-like who’ll probably be wearing a Manchester United top.

Please say hello as you sail past me.

aP
    Free Member

I’m afraid I don’t quite understand greasystain…..

greasystain
    Free Member

1) I will be riding with someone who looks just like Eric Cantona.

2) By coincidence he is a MU fan and wears MU tops when cycling.

3) Please say hello when you ride past me.

JamesP
    Free Member

The extra 21km over the 100km is pretty tough. While not steep it consists largely of two neverending hills! I was thinking about riding it SS but I think its too tough.

Anyone thinking of riding the BORS on Sunday should make sure they get there with plenty of time to register. We’ve had record pre-entries and there is a rider cap at 400.

If the recent Southern XC and Black Park Races we’ve organised are anything to go by we will get good numbers on the day.

ononeorange

Riding the 121 (hopefully!) here too. Can’t wait!

It rained here heavily this morning but nice and sunny now. Plenty of time to dry off completely.

greasystain
    Free Member

If one is still feeling strong after the 100km is it possible to carry on to the 121km finish?

aP
    Free Member

Oh, Cantona not Cantina.

JamesP – by early, how early do you think before the limit is reached?

JamesP
    Free Member

aP – really hard to know. We’ll try not to turn anyone away. I would say 8am will likely get you a place. The start is at 9am which would give you a chance to faff around, use the facilities etc. If you are doing the 121km I would aim to leave as close to 9am as possible. Its a long day in the saddle 🙂 You can download an entry form below which will speed things up.

http://www.bucksoffroadsportive.co.uk/downloads/BORSEntry2009.pdf

greasystain – yes but let them know when you get to the finish line so they can record your time in the right category.

aP
    Free Member

JamesP – thanks, I’ve already printed off the entry form + the route map and route card. Hopefully see people there.

JamesP
    Free Member

It should be well sign posted but it is worth taking the map and card as sometimes thoughtless locals mess with the signs 🙁

Say hi if you see me. I’ll be in a WDMBC black and yellow jersey riding a GT Zaskar Carbon Team. The Catlike helmet and bright orange oakley radars usually make me easy to spot 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

Can I get some idea of time-in-the saddle as I’ve not ridden that far in one go!
    I just about manage the full distance Meridas, which I do in about 6.5 – 7hrs.
    I have not booked in for this ride and was thinking it through, that was all.
    I’ve been playing on a 29er all this year and get some clicking of the L knee at about 3.5hrs, and the 26er needs its indexing looking at, so am I man, or am I mouse?
    Thanks

JamesP
    Free Member

I would say it is comparable with full distance Merida. The weather has been kind to us so there shouldn’t be much (if any) mud. I would still reckon on over 6hrs for most on the 100km and more for 121km. These are guidelines only and I am sure there are some people here who can do it quicker (and slower) 😉

I’m targeting 7hrs for the 121km. If you were struggling there is a route split at 67km. Give it a go 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Sorry not to be doing it this year (busted ribs Did I mention them?)

Ti29er it’s fine well marked route that even I can follow, but the thing I like most is that it’s a fully rideable route. Don’t be fooled by the ‘close to the M25’ thing as some people have, I’ve seen guys go flying off only to see them again hours later totally cream crackered.
    Sit back and enjoy getting a good 100k under your belt.

Still tempted myself……but…..must…..resist.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Hi,
    Anyone know where abouts this goes? I am plannig to go out on sunday aroud the Fingest/Turville area.. Will I swamped by lots of other riders in that area?

nickc

Hills aren’t massively long on the route, but there is a relentless amount of them, and they tend to be of the short-sharp variety. You’ll know you’ve done it, if you see what I mean.

JamesP
    Free Member

If you rode NE from Fingest towards Wendover and Great Missenden you might get caught up in the festivities.

Map here: http://www.bucksoffroadsportive.co.uk/downloads/Routes/BORS2009-100km&121kmMap.pdf

Why not come over and ride it? There’s a 30km and 70km version too!! And you get a t-shirt for finishing.

JamesP
    Free Member

Some feedback on the course:

“Bone dry today whilst marking out ,its going to be fast, and bumpy in some places but with the Bluebells out very pretty, having gone round a lot of the route over the last week I know why people rate this ride so much better than the HONC, there is some great single track out there”

Ti29er
    Free Member

My local training ride starts around marker 42 near Denham over from the A412.
    The blue bells will be in abundance around 40 I imagine.
    Can’t make the ride as I have a client meeting in C London at 10:00 which I can’t change.
    Have fun without me
    Tim

Ti29er
    Free Member

weatherWeather:

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Am tempted..
    Will discuss with my riding partner and we’ll see, but I’m not too sure we can get there for 8am to sign on in time!

But cheers for the offer!

JamesP
    Free Member

As I mentioned, we don’t want to turn anyone away so I am sure if you get there a bit later you’ll be OK. If you are doing one of the shorter routes its not so important to leave at 9am either.

Did I mention there is free energy drinks and energy bars!

Its going to be a blinder 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

I’ll come by later from maybe 13:00-ish, somewhere near the badger’s set on section 42 – along the return section on Shires Way – and take some pictures. I may as well make myself useful!
    Tim

JamesP
    Free Member

Cool. If I see you I’ll say hi.

Ti29er
    Free Member

This is the link
    I am not the accredited photographer.
    I have i.d’ed 2x locations on the last 5km bridleway run-in to the finish where I’ll take pictures.
    I’ll be, on my bike to facilitate some ability to make locations so you’ll no doubt recognise me. I’ll be wearing a carnation in my lapel just to help out.
    Tim
    Picture link

greasystain
    Free Member

Nice picture Tim

JamesP
    Free Member

Very nice photos Tim.

greasystain
    Free Member

Great ride today! Fantastic weather – lovely course – friendly atmosphere!

ps44
    Free Member

Bit too much hanging around at the start, but it was worth the wait. Very enjoyable.

Ti29er
    Free Member

The pictures are now live.
    Hope there’s something for 50% of the almost 400 riders to enjoy!
    Tim

Straightliner

What a cracking event. Wonderful route and the dry conditions made it a fun and relatively fast ride (well, as fast as a singlespeed goes anyway). Seemed to miss a couple of the arrows on the run in adding a few unwelcome km’s, but overall it was well marked and lots of fun. For me the riding’s a lot more interesting than the HONC, although maybe not quite as scenic, and I’m keen to do it again next year.

tinsy
    Free Member

I booked into he 121k but when I realised it was going to take me 8hours I took the 100k split, great days riding, pretty tired today.

Straightliner, was you on a white On One rigid with flat pedals? Was the only SS I saw, and was chatting for a while..

Imanaged to miss a marker and added a few K’s on myself..

Are there any results due to come out at all?

Straightliner

Unfortunately that wasn’t me, I was on a black On One Scandal plodding along. I did see a few guys on cyclocross bikes and their comment was that those hard packed bridleways were pretty bumpy [due in part to the horses hoofprints having dried out].

Full respect to anyone riding that on a rigid bike – I think the body would have taken quite a pounding.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Oh dear. That was the hardest day on the bike I’ve had for a very, very long time. Looking back on, a large chunk of the problem was pretty m,uch failing to eat anything nutritious all day Saturday, but I think I was well on the way to bonking before I got to Denham, and I just kept on getting worse until I clocked what was wrong, and ate everything I could lay my hands on. After which I was just tired, knackered and weak.

If it hadn’t been for the excellent route, glorious scenery, stunning bluebells, gorgeous weather, dry dusty trails and friendly people it would have been utterly bleak and ghastly.

🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

I hope you didnt drag your utility bike around there!!!

ononeorange

Good on you straightliner! That was a serious effort on a singlespeed. Did you do the whole lot?

A great day, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Bucks Off Road Sportive’ is closed to new replies.