Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Buck Wood (Bradford)… What's happening with the permissive bridleway?
  • sheeps

As the title really. Was in Buck Wood yesterday for the first time in ages. There’s lots of new posts with blue arrows and permissive bridleway written on them, and then a ‘no cycling’ sign underneath.

Has the ‘permissive’ arrangement change to exclude bikes, or are they trying to separate horses and bikes?

There did seem to be quite a lack of tyre tracks also.

So anyone know what is going on??

allan23
    Free Member

Don’t know that particular route, if it’s permissive, doesn’t that mean the landowner is allowed to restrict to certain types of use?

Looked on my OS Map and it’s an Orange Dashed line. So landowner has allowed public access but it’s not a right of way. Speak to the landowner to see why they don’t want cyclists.

Simon

I rode along there on Sunday and saw the signs. No idea what’s going on.

sheeps

There’s several ‘friends of buck wood’s notice boards around with no mention of any restrictions

woody2000

In this doc it mentions:

Friends of Buck Wood worked with local horse riders to install a new permissive bridleway;

So maybe they claimed it all for themselves? 👿

pennine
    Free Member

I had a little look around Buck Woods on my ride this morning. I think what’s happened is FOBW & local horse riders have negotiated a permissive horse trail so they won’t encounter bikes hence the signs. IMO I believe it’s just one trail through the woods not a blanket ban. I did notice another sign saying trail for wheel chair users & no horses (nothing about bikes).
    Providing bikers keep off the permissive horse trail, and there are plenty of others around, we should be fine.
    Looks like they are trying to include everyone for a change.
    I’ve been riding through Buck Woods for more than 25yrs & never once been challenged.

martinhutch

Isn’t it owned by Bradford Council anyhow, who tend to have a more enlightened view on bikes than most big landowners?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I saw this and contacted Bradford MBC (who indeed own (I think) and certainly manage) Buck Wood. They were happy for me to share this response:

Hi Tim

Thank you for your recent email that Tim has passed on to me. Buck Wood is managed by my colleagues in Woodlands (Bob Thorp) but the bridleway is something I have knowledge of.

To cut a long story short horse riders asked if they could have additional access within the Buck Wood site. The Friends of Buck Wood and Bob agreed to this but there were concerns that horse use would affect an Scheduled Ancient Monument. It was decided that an alternative route for horse riders would be provided, away from the monument and that this would be for horse riders only. Other site users could continue to use the main surfaced route through the site.

This route was provided and signed but it became un-useable due to surface damage over the winter months. As we were looking at ways to improve the surface it came to light that the Monument site is much bigger than first thought. The full extent now covers parts of the bridleway provided so it has been decided to close the route and to allow horse riders to use the surface route through the site and Monument area. This has been a recent decision and I believe that existing signage will be removed/amended in due course.

Use of the site will be monitored to assess the impact public access will have on the Monument area.

I trust the above information is of use, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions in this matter.

Regards

Darren Hinchliffe
    Area Rights of Way Officer
    Countryside & Rights of Way Service
    Tel: 01274 435682
    1st Floor North, Jacob’s Well, Bradford BD1 5RW

For what it matters, I asked as a member of Bradford’s Local Access Forum (LAF). I also have a bit of history / experience with Buck Woods and their Friend’s group having been one of the people from SingletrAction who helped design / re-design the jump and pump tracks in the woods.

pennine
    Free Member

Cheeky Monkey: This sign is placed just outside the jump area at the top of the long descent towards the canal, under the pylons, & Esholt works swingbridge. There is another sign about 200m further down pointing left (off the main track). I’m guessing this may be the ‘surfaced’ bit between the signs is where they have given permission for horses. So have they added ‘no cycling’ signs just to cover this short section and if so why?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Don’t know. All the info I have is what came back from the officer @ Bradford MBC and is repeated above.

AFAIK, permissive bridleways are much as the name suggest and can be permitted for a particular user / set of users. I’m not a RoW expert though.

I imagine they made it permissive for horses as that was the group that was asking / shouting loudest / caught the right persons ear / etc. Fair? Not really. The way of the world? Probably. It is a bit strange to allow horses yet specifically exclude bikes on a route unless it’s a dedicated canter (like the bit up at the Chevin). In most other circumstances we just have to rub along by respect and sharing with care, like all the other BWs. As for an impact, I personally think shod hoves make at least as much of one as a bike.

I might take a wander down and look in the next week or two.

FoBW are OK. I wouldn’t say they were anti-bike but I don’t think they (like lots of people) particularly understand how bikers “work” and what they would like, that’s even after we did all the work on the jumps / pump track and had quite a bit of engagement with them. Not being unpleasant about it, just my overall impression. Then again, bikers sometimes don’t understand other interest groups / stakeholders perspectives and desires so it’s always a bit of a challenge to strike a balance of what to ask for / what can be achieved. IIRC the Friends were very keen on ecology and history. Good on them, someone needs to look out for this stuff.

If I find out anymore I’ll share it.

😎

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Also found this:

http://peoplecanbradforddistrict.org.uk/2016/05/19/welcome-buck-wood/

Walkers, cyclists and horse riders were welcomed to Buck Wood as part of a open day to held jointly by the Friends of Buck Wood, British Horse Society, Bradford West Neighbourhoods and Trees and Woodlands. Friends were on hand to promote the “share with care” message for use of the woodlands many paths.

The woodland is well used and it is important that each user understands their responsibilities to other users and the woodland.

Sharing with care has taken on added importance now that the wood contains a scheduled ancient monument dating from pre-historic times.

The central path is now a permissive bridleway to help take horse riders off Thackley Road.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

.. and this was really cool to see about Esholt:

http://peoplecanbradforddistrict.org.uk/2016/04/25/esholt-woods-environment-day/

Bike riders and Friends of Esholt Wood held an environmental action day on Sunday 24th April. The group of mostly cyclists have built a series of challenging cycle routes in the woodlands which are jointly owned by Bradford Council and Yorkshire Water. Now the building work is close to completion the group have moved on to landscaping and woodland management.

Environment Day landscaping
    Native woodland wildflower mix and crab apple trees are being sown on to compensate for disturbance. The newly planted trees are being maintained and bat and bird boxes put up to provide additional nesting and roosting. The wood was also deep cleaned and produced a surprising haul of rubbish, including a tent.

esholt seeding
    Woodland wildflower sowing
    A spokesperson for the group said we enjoy riding in the wood, its a wonderful place to be so we thought it is only right to do our bit to look after the wood, keep it clean and help the new plantation get established. We always get a positive response from other people and hope that more will get involved when we hold our next action day.

esholt clean up

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Buck Wood (Bradford)… What's happening with the permissive bridleway?’ is closed to new replies.