Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • BT Vision or Sky
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

hi all

I have just moved house and I am looking at BT and Sky for TV, Broadband and Phone. what is the word on the street?

i am not to sure who to go for…

Nezbo

waihiboy
    Free Member

changed from BT and went with sky for the full monty, no problems at all here. the internet does drop on the odd occasion but nothing to moan about.

funkynick

How about cable via Virgin?

funkynick

Oh, and have a look at this site which gives you info about the local exchange, and what broadband speeds you can expect for the different service providers…

Speshpaul

BB, can you get a sky connection from the exchange or is it just a BT rebadged? If Sky then yes.
    TV, can you get a good tv picture with out a sky? The BT vision uses TV transmitters, (apart from the video on demand) so rubbish TV picture will mean rubbish BT picture.

waihiboy
    Free Member

you cant beat Sky+ IMO,

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i had the BT vision thingy and the hardware was pretty poor. I had to change my set top box twice and change my wireless router once. Each time it is delivered by a ‘BT engineer’ that they cannot schedule for AM or PM- even though when you speak to the ‘plug insertor’, you find out that this is their only job for the day.
    Even after I had changed the router, the coverage in my house (i stay in a two bedroom flat although it does have solid walls) was rubbish. The network kept dropping and the signal to my bedroom was terrible.

So with the poor hardware and performance issues, I had plenty of opportunities to try out BT’s customer support. Sticking hot knitting needles up my japper was less painful.

BT’s support consists of Off-shore 1st level support that basically tell you to ‘re-boot’ your hardware. If this doesn’t work, they will pass your case over to the mythical ‘technical support’ who are supposed to phone you back within 24 hrs. (you cannot contact them. oh no.) After a reasonable amount of time, you have to phone back up to ask the 1st level guy why the technical guy hasn’t contacted you. Then you have to go back through the case again because the 1st 1st guy hadn’t recorded it and you’re informed that a technical guy will definately contact within the next 24hrs. Repeat 3 or 4 times.

I’ve not any dealings with sky, but i would be surprised if anyone could be worse than BT.

mrsflash
    Free Member

We’re with sky for all 3 and have to say can’t fault it at all.

josemctavish
    Free Member

I have BT Vision and am very pleased with it. The set top box has been great with a large capacity and the interface is excellent. On Demand selection is good, I mainly use the TV Replay stuff, extended footy highlights and have also watched a couple of HD movies. The only downsides are dealing with BT if anything goes wrong and the router really is quite poor. I prefer to use my own however.

mrdoubletake
    Free Member

jose,

Do you get Sky1 and Sky Sports with BT Vision?

josemctavish
    Free Member

I’m afraid not. You get everything that’s available on Freeview plus it can stream On Demand stuff as well. That means Sky Sports News and Setanta Sports are the sports ones plus Sky Three for the rare occasion they’re showing something good.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve got BT for broadband and it’s been good. No problems with speed etc.

But for TV I’ve got Sky + and I wouldn’t change it ever.

The best invention since the wheel*!

*I may be exaggerating slightly

nickc

Recently changed phone and broadband over to Sky, along with Telly, and TBH, it went pretty damned smoothly. They did what they said, when they said they’d do it, sent out a load of useful info about it, and set out clearly what money they’d take, and when. I’d recommend it to anyone.

MrNutt
    Free Member

we’ve had BT Vison for a year and they can go poke it up their privacy abusing spyware injecting arses, were off to Sky HD.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

sky sky sky sky sky….

Cooroo
    Free Member

We recently changed from Virgin for everything to BT and Sky (with Sky+), because it works out a little cheaper. It went very well. I was most impressed with Sky – the woman I spoke to said ‘I’ll ring back in a month when it’s time to change over the broadband’ and she did. Same woman. Felt like much better, more personal service. Hate to say it, but they’ve been good. And Sky+ is fantastic (but I think everyone’s offering something similar now).

Bushwacked
    Free Member

BT!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘BT Vision or Sky’ is closed to new replies.