Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • BT Fon – any problems?
  • jj55

Anyone registered?

Any good?

Seems that if I register I share my WiFi home system with anyone else in the area, is this secure? 😯

bruneep
    jj55

Bruneep, thanks for your link. I should have said I have read the BT blurb, I was seeking personal experiences with BT Fon

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

Never yet managed to connect with any Fon or Openzone hotspot, mainly because I cannot register with BT Fon, despite being a BT Internet user.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, Im struggling to see why I should give up some of my bandwidth, just someone else can use it. When im paying for the privilige in the first place.

footflaps

Two reasons (last time I looked):
    1. you get free access to other Fon hotspots
    2. there is a kickback option where you get paid based on usage

MrNutt
    Free Member

I would prefer to drive rusty nails through my balls than use BT for any service, let alone broadband!

orena45

I’m registered and as we live in the middle of no-where, I’m not worried about other people using my connection 😀 It is supposed to be secure enough and limited bandwidth so probably wouldn’t be worried anyway.

Have to say though that on the few occasions I’ve tried logging onto other people connections via my Desire, it’s connected via wifi but not been able to download web sites.

jeff

If I had decent bandwidth, and I didn’t have access to the cloud etc via O2, I’d sign up, but as it is I need all the speed I can get!

jj55

thanks for the advice, seems a waste of time registering! No one seems to use it!

spooky_b329

You might as well register as its free, and if you are doing something that requires all your bandwidth it will throttle the BT Fon right back. Its a bit of give and take. I’ve only connected to BT Fon a couple of times whilst out and about, but the hub also broadcasts an Openzone hotspot and this I’ve had much more success with on other peoples hubs.

One major downfall seems to be that after enabling BT Fon, the hub doesn’t actually broadcast anything. Each time I’ve had a new hub I’ve had to do a manual firmware update as even after a couple of weeks its still not broadcasting.

I sometimes connect my work laptop to the BT Fon channel on my own hub, and it does seem quiet restricted in terms of bandwidth, so unless you are struggling along with a .5 or 1meg connection, I’d go for it.

will
    Free Member

Use this on my iPhone quite a lot. Once you download the app you can connect automatically, tried on my laptop and has worked a few times but not 100% reliable…

convert

My folks use it. They have a notebook in their camper and access to bt openzone and fon hotspots whilst away is very useful.

And as I set their system up and know their fon password I find it quite useful too 😈

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘BT Fon – any problems?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts