Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bryton rider 50, anyone have one?
  • sneakyg4
    Free Member

I have been considering one of these instead of a second hand Garmin 705/800.

Lots of reviews online, but does anyone have any real world experience of these? In particular the battery life and the quality of the mapping.

Also if I bought the cheap one without an HRM belt could I use it with one of the HRM belts I already have? (Garmin, Polar)

Ta

chris_db
    Free Member

I have one and it serves me fine, I use it for recording where I ride and then saving the data to the Bryton website.

The maps are fine but the screen is quite small and I don’t use them for navigation, I like maps – the battery doesn’t run out and they don’t lose satellite signals!

The battery life is good for a long days ride and it does well keeping a signal. All in very good.

I have a Bryton HRM strap going spare if you decide to get one.

Downside – I broke the screen on one and they are irrepairable. However Bryton did offer me a replacement at cost which they didn’t have to do.

So, if you want recording where you went they are fine; the maps are good but the screen too small for me so using them to navigate by is a personal choice.

Having said that I’d be happy to swap mine for a new 20; it does all I need but they weren’t out when I got my 50.

Chris

tc3nitro
    Free Member

I have had mine since Nov last year.
    Battery life is great (I have managed 3 fulls days in the saddle on one charge).
    The standard mapping is great for road riding and ok for mountain biking, the route planning is easy on the bryton site and downloading an uploading to strava or the bryton site is very easy.

The 50 is now available with OS mapping and having seen one in action i wish i had held out for the OS version (although Bryton are meant to be realeasing the OS maps on a memory card around March time).

Most Ant+ Devices will work with the Bryton 50.

I can’t recommend my Bryton 50 enough. Most of the guys i ride with have Garmin 800’s and a few have now ordered Rider 50’s with OS mapping to replace these.

Aidy
    Free Member

GF’s got one (I bought it for her a while back) – it’s alright.
    As far as the hardware goes, it’s a nice piece of kit.

I’m not overly impressed with the software though, compared with a Garmin where you can just drag and drop data files, it’s a bit of a pig. At least there’s a standalone app now, so you don’t have to go via their stupid website to download your data.

porlus
    Free Member

I have one. Really like it. Used it on saturday to follow a route from an external website. Screen just shows the line, but more than adequate to stop from getting lost. As said the battery is decent. Was on for more than 6 hours and only a small fraction was used up.
    Latest software update means its easier to download/upload date to and from the device. Thought it was a faff before.
    Mine was about £175, I think the new OS one is a fair bit more. But I believe that the screen is a little bit bigger ???

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback guys, seems like its worth a punt.

Chris, might take you up on that offer and buy the harm from you, will let you know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bryton rider 50, anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.