Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bruised/cracked ribs
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Had a ‘small’ off fairly badly bruised ribs and a bit of pain, how long have people taken to recover from this as supposed to be racing the STW weekender and a present am going to have rouble hanging onto the bike for the XC even with some good painkillers

Junkyard
    Free Member

if actually cracked at least 6 weeks to ride properly [ and even then you will have some discomfort]
    can you take an actual deep breath?
    does sneezing scare you?
    When you woke up this morning did you lie there just wondering how on earth to get up?

if none of these apply they are not broken
    Brusing not sure but less time

donsimon
    Free Member

6 weeks for recovery and there’s nothing you can do. Breathe deeply to prevent infection and take some pain killers/anti-inflammatories to aid deep breathing.

GW
    Free Member

Fabien raced a WC with broken ribs.

6wks ish if you’re a bit more normal.

Also how can a bone bruise?

johnners
    Free Member

IME it’ll hurt about the same for about 4-6 weeks, you’ll dread sneezing or coughing, and have disturbed sleep because it hurts when you turn over.

Then suddenly one day you realise you’re no longer in discomfort.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m not a pharmacist but IIRC you can take some pretty big one off doses of ibuprophen (if you have no contraindications), it may or may not work and may give you reflux.

Junkyard
    Free Member

GW

Most rib injuries are cared for in the same way, whether the ribs are broken, cracked or just bruised (bruising means injury to the muscles surrounding the ribs)

NHS website it is well recognised phrase that most people understand but I am happy to lead your from your ignorance into the light of knowledge..awaits more trolling from GW [ and a denial of trolling]

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers, as I though pretty much, think the muscles are bruised around them but can feel some cracking when sneezing and coughing, lots of painkillers and a hearty does of MTFU then 😉

Are you coming to the weekender GW? Pop over for a coffee 😀

ryreed
    Free Member

If really hurts doesn’t it! I cracked/detached a rib kayaking once and it took about 6 weeks but twinged for much longer. Recently recovered from a strained intercostal, which didn’t hurt at the time, but was way more painful after. About 3-4 weeks for that but can still feel it.

As above, keep breathing deeply, take some anti-inflammatory drugs if you can, and don’t rush back on to the bike to soon or you will slow down your recovery.

GW
    Free Member

Ta Junkyard.

This came up in conversation last night speaking to a French girl, I conceded the English language is simply stupid.

emac65
    Free Member

and don’t rush back on to the bike to soon or you will slow down your recovery.

Ahhhhh,that’s where I went wrong when I did mine ………

Took ages for me to be pain free,like 12 mths.The pain did get a little less each month though…….

GW
    Free Member

No Loco, going to Ft William and I don’t likee coffee, cheers for the offer tho. 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

We have beer and spirits too, your not allowed to sit in my new ‘moon’ chair though 😉

GW
    Free Member

If it goes “helooo I’m the moooon” followed by odd anecdotal tales I’d be tempted 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Jeffus
    Free Member

Its more like 12 weeks , I’ve broken mine 4-5 times , stretching out in the shower with hot water on it helped me recommended by a physio I went to see to help recovery and gentle stretching, oh and anti flams really help, I couldn’t cough sneeze turnover or c**p without uber pain, two cracked ribs , torn muscle and internal bruising…probably took 12 to 18 months to finally stop hurting but I did carry on doing what I was doing , training etc so probably didn’t help oh and broke the same ribs again which really annoyed me, they are really knobbly now 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bruised/cracked ribs’ is closed to new replies.