• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Del.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • bruised/cracked rib….
  • cazum
    Free Member

anyone know roughly how long before it bloody stops being sore? i know it will take about 4 – 6 weeks to fully heal but thats been a week now and its almost still as sore as it was on day one 🙁 hate not doing exercise and with this goodish weather missing being out on the bike

yes it was a bike related injury lol picked the wrong line off a drop and ended up straight into a tree snapping a 5″ branch that was pointing at my ribs with my ribs! 🙁

stewartc
    Free Member

I have had 3 cracked ribs over the last 2 years, generally for me its about 4 weeks of pain/discomfort then a couple of weeks of slight pain but able to ride.
    If you feel that you are having problems breathing then I would recommend visiting the doctor, otherwise just rest as there is not much else you can do.

cazum
    Free Member

Its only painfull when I take a very deep breath….but its a dull pain not sharp….am sure am not helping as I gavent missed a day of work…just grining and getting on with it as I cant afford to be off sratuory sick pay suck….

samuri
    Free Member

A couple of weeks before it becomes just another pain you carry round with you. It is painful though, I’ve cracked quite a lot of ribs in the past.

Del

it’ll likely be 6 or 7 before it calms down properly and you can ride properly. make sure you take some deep breaths every now and then. i expect it hurts more in the morning?

andrewni
    Free Member

As above, normally takes a good 2 weeks for the initial pain to subside and just leave the bearable pain. Be careful though, I cracked a few ribs last year and whilst I didn’t take any time off work I did take it very easy. After about 2 weeks I was starting to feel a bit better till one day when driving round a roundabout I heard this sound similar to cracking your knuckles from my ribs followed by the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life.
    Doctors reckoned that whatever way I turned had put pressure on the damaged ribs and they snapped. It took even longer to get though the initial pain stage 2nd time round.

Pook

ibuprofen. The gel is better than the pills I find.

Red wine works well too.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above you’re looking a 4 weeks or so. Stay away from anyone with a cough/cold you seriously do not want to sneeze or cough with sore ribs

GWS

aracer
    Free Member

Depends if it’s bruised or cracked. I have bruised ones (so the doctor reckoned – I went to see him when they were actually getting more painful after a week). It took a couple of weeks before they started getting more comfortable the first time. Then I hit them in the same place again after about 6 weeks. That was a week and a half ago and I think this morning might have been the first day they felt a bit better (it helps that I seem to have found a comfortable sleeping position for the first time last night).

cazum
    Free Member

Dont know if tyey are cracked or bruised….supposed to be running the edinbrugh 10k 25th may…..so hoping to feel normal by end of month so I can start training again…. no football or mtb till end of the month either then… bugger

freddyg
    Free Member

As mentioned above. Stay away form sick people.

When I did mine, pain levels in order of increasing magnitute were:

Breathing
    Sit-up type movement
    “Dropping the kids off at the pool”
    Laughing
    Coughing
    Sneezing

I sneezed once and thought I was going to die. It was one of those catch-you-unawares jobs that occurred while I was chopping onions.

Do and see the doc for some stronger pain-killers – Cocodamol (sp?) and Ibruprofen saved the day.

I Feel your pain.

growinglad
    Free Member

As above, normally takes a good 2 weeks for the initial pain to subside and just leave the bearable pain. Be careful though, I cracked a few ribs last year and whilst I didn’t take any time off work I did take it very easy. After about 2 weeks I was starting to feel a bit better till one day when driving round a roundabout I heard this sound similar to cracking your knuckles from my ribs followed by the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life.
    Doctors reckoned that whatever way I turned had put pressure on the damaged ribs and they snapped. It took even longer to get though the initial pain stage 2nd time round.

Oh yes, know this well, I had an off from the road bike about 10 weeks ago, broke four back bones (just the tips…so nothing overly serious…just bloody painful) and came down on my ribs pretty hard too….all pretty sore, but managed to carry on after a bit of rest…about a week later after the off, bent to put some socks on….by Christ I would have preferred a kick in the bollards by someone wearing steel toe capped boots..Doc reckons I’d moved the ribs a bit where they join the back..they must have clicked back in place.

As I said, 10-11 weeks ago now…but still a big achie after a nights sleep or if one of the kids jumps on me whilst we’re mucking around on the floor.

I don’t recommend reading the post by world class accident on what exercise for his fecked ankle and someone replying pogo stick. I was nearly reaching for the red emergency button when I red that in my hospital bed….

Del

anti-inflammatory ( ibuprofen ) OK short term, but inhibit bone regrowth ( i was told when recovering from broken collarbone ) longer term, so don’t take them for too long. paracetamol.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘bruised/cracked rib….’ is closed to new replies.