Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Broxbourne woods permanent access restrictions
  • enfht
    Free Member

Over the years I genuinely haven’t seen signs and I very much doubt that any of their staff have been threatened, sounds entirely fictional. I’m just staying well out of their way.

bearman
    Free Member

I was stuck at work so couldn’t make the meeting either unfortunately. Definitely never seen any private property signs over the years, hence why everyone is so surprised by these actions. ‘Threatening’ behavior can’t be any worse than the aggy 4×4 golf buggy guy over there anyway I doubt.

jedi

was a good turn out 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

Metal gate posts are appearing along the main east/west fire road.

chakaping
    Free Member

Popped over there this week when I was back in the shire.

Sad to see such a large area closed off, but I heard from Ed they’re packing up in September.

Did anyone who attended the meeting hear if access will be restored after that?

PS – kudos to the Wormley trail pixies. Had a lot of fun over there.

samunkim
    Free Member

Thank You

But I prefer “Trail Troll” since I and am usually found around a (partially built) bridge and have the appropriate appearance……..

http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/php/forum/download/file.php?id=1102

benp1

Has anyone been into broxbourne woods recently? I’m guessing it’ll be getting fairly sloppy at the moment but is access still blocked?

enfht
    Free Member

Bushcraft have left for the winter, but the metal gates remain.

Very muddy benp1 but the ground will garden once the temperature drops.

benp1

I’ve not been in there in absolutely ages, like nearly a year ago

I’ll think i’ll give it a miss given all the rain and check it out when the temperature drops

mike_p
    Free Member

So I was in Broxbourne woods yesterday. Bushcraft seem to be back – the yurts are back up in 3-4 sites just north of the main east-west forest road, with rows of bright orange portaloos and blue water pipes trailing through the woods. Looks charming, very natural! Deserted yesterday afternoon, but a few cars left parked up.

The metal gates remain and are locked, but all the fences have been cut through at the main access points and there’s evidence of quite a bit of traffic passing through, both on wheels and on foot.

Off the main forest track it’s muddy as hell though, really hard going. There’s evidence of a bit of very muddy singletrack off the main bridleway that runs north/south, but nothing appealing. Lots of barbed wire fencing off an area down by the brook to the west of the bridleway.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of access rights to it though?

senorj

I was in there yesterday. Alot of cars parked in the woods & much more barbed wire and private land signage.
    They are ripping up a lot of trees which looks like ground clearance to me – not tree harvesting.
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see chalets on there soon. 🙁

lancasterbomber
    Free Member

I am disgusted at the destruction of Cowheath Wood. We cycled through the wood last evening on the central track, W to E. There has been an enormous amount of tree felling going on WHY? The track to one side was mutilated to a depth of 25m into the woods…this is NOT conservation. Also added to ambience of woods are two portaloos every 250m along the track adjacent to every camp site!!!!!!. I did the courteous obligation and tore down as many of the restricted access signs as possible. I don’t see this is conservation of any type, it is only going to encourage litter motorised vehicles car parking and the overall damaging the natural environment. Over my lifetime of using this track to have this taken away is nothing short of scandalous. Using barbed wire to fence off this area is obscene and hazardous to both humans and wildlife. Anyone?…When’s the next action meeting?

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone been in the last few days?

Interested in current trail conditions and restricted areas.

chakaping
    Free Member

Come on, you can tell me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well it was mostly bone dry, if anyone was wondering.

Didn’t really need the mud tyres on, but better safe than sorry eh?

Sad to see some old favourite trails have been wiped out over the Broxbourne side.

jedi

Is there a fixed date that claiming rights of way stops ?

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Is there a fixed date that claiming rights of way stops ?

http://openmtb.org.uk/resources/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-bridleways/

1st January 2026..

Not long to go and it’s in all our interests.

Radioman

Went down the central “disputed” right of way /bridleway 2 weeks ago and Bushcraft don’t seem to have set up yet . Nobody was there to stop me although there were signs disputing the public right of way. The ripping up of the wood for felling does seem to be designed to prevent access. As you said some of the way Bushcraft use the wood does not appear to be “conservation” more a policy of obstruction to other users in the name of “safety “. The wrecked aluminium light plane chassis seems to be one of their camp “attractions” too. This is hardly in keeping with conservation.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Broxbourne woods permanent access restrictions’ is closed to new replies.