Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Browsing STW on iOS5 – anyone finding it lagging?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone experiencing the site being a bit laggy since updating to iOS5? (iPhone4)

I’m finding text input very laggy, the forum taking a while to render (if that’s the correct term for text going from a bit blurry to clear). Hence, I find myself double tapping to increase the text size, then double tapping again when it doesn’t respond…and the inevitable increase and decrease when the phone actually does it. Text input is always seconds behind the actual tap…as opposed to say, writing a text or email. 😕

Problem with the forum or with the phone? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Clear cache? Get rid of the shedload of never-used apps?

(Sensible answers only please…but go on, take the mick if you must) 😡

Also, one other question (not iOS5 exclusive): why, when switching windows, does the page sometimes reload (but not refresh) and sometimes not?

dokta
    Free Member

Double click home button and clear unnecessary apps running in background helps. Or just reboot iPhone, it needs it few times a month.

GrahamS

I’ve seen it on other forums, even before iOS5, but this one seems okay for me. Others were complaining about it the other day so it’s not just you.

why, when switching windows, does the page sometimes reload (but not refresh) and sometimes not?

Basically if you are getting low on memory then it doesn’t keep a copy of the page hanging around and instead reloads it when you switch back.

To avoid it happening don’t have loads of pages open at once and don’t have loads of background apps hanging around.

GrahamS

Or just reboot iPhone, it needs it few times a month.

It does? I’ve only ever had to reboot mine after an app install has gone wrong.

v8ninety

Y….e…e…(damn, backspace backspace) …s. It’s frikkin annoying.
    Was fine on OS 4.X

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah right, sorry, I wasn’t on the forum much on Sunday so hadn’t seen the other thread. Not just me then…for once. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have closed all running apps. Text input appears quicker. Oops, actually, no it doesn’t.

Rendering thing and delay to respond to double tap still remains. 😕

tonyg2003

Just picked up a 4GS and browsing STW or anything else is amazingly fast (compared to my 3GS) even with threads with loads of pictures embedded (eg. recent Which watch thread). I guess it’s Apple stuffing their existing iphone customers to gain new customers.

GrahamS

I wasn’t on the forum much on Sunday so hadn’t seen the other thread.

No criticism intended doubleD. I understand that not everyone spends their weekends geekily reading forums. 😀

GrahamS

Have you tried clearing History, Cookies and Data for Safari – see if that helps any?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will clearing cookies delete all my saved passwords for internet shagging and pron sites? 😕

dokta
    Free Member

To be honest upgraded from 3G to 4S so the difference is massive. And yes, you need to reboot any smartphone for good measure. Apple like any other corporations will conjure up power hungry updates to downgrade previous generation of hardware so fanbois rush to their store for freshest shiny bling to buy and use it as intended.
    Dear God I felt it with 3G.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

so fanbois rush to their store for freshest shiny bling to buy and use it as intended

Oh FFS 🙄

Is it possible to ask a question about iOS at all?

GrahamS

Will clearing cookies delete all my saved passwords for internet shagging and pron sites?

Fraid so. You can do it on a site-by-site basis if you go into Advanced->Website Data.

Apple like any other corporations will conjure up power hungry updates to downgrade previous generation of hardware so fanbois rush to their store for freshest shiny bling to buy and use it as intended.

🙄

Except… iOS 5 has made my wife’s 3GS go/feel a bit faster.

GrahamS

You could also try turning off Javascript and see if that is the problem.

(which would be a pain if it was)

mboy
    Free Member

Been having the same problems myself since updating to iOS5, and just done all the things mentioned above to try to improve it.

No joy!

Doesn’t seem to be the major scale slowdown there was when iOS4 came out and everybody installed it on their iPhone 3G’s straight away, but I’ll bet 5.0.1 will be along soon with some speed fixes for those of us not running a 4S…

GrahamS

Odd that it doesn’t seem to hit everyone though.
    I’m fine on my 4 (on this site anyway).

dokta
    Free Member

Maybe iPhone jumps from wifi to 3G? If so, no wonder it lags. When wifi signal weak even 4S misbehaves, turning wifi off resolves it.

clubber
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

so fanbois rush to their store for freshest shiny bling to buy and use it as intended

Oh FFS

Is it possible to ask a question about iOS at all?

Of course. Ask again if it has Flash. 😀

GrahamS

Nah the lag is when folk are typing. Shouldn’t be any network traffic at that point. And it is fine from my phone on 3G.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Browsing STW on iOS5 – anyone finding it lagging?’ is closed to new replies.