• This topic has 66 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • "Brought" and "Bought" My theory.
  • cbike
    Free Member

One "r" makes so much difference but I reckon its evolving on the internet to mean the same.

Will I get a grant to study it, ya reckon?

aP
    Free Member

Why, do you know someone called Grant, or is it just a general see if they'll come out of the woodwork query?

GrahamS

See also:

Looser vs loser

You're vs your

It's vs its

etc etc etc

The internets is fool of stupid people.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

My mother-in-law gets them mixed up when speaking "I've brought a new coat". Annoys the hell out of me, then again so does she……

tomdebruin
    Free Member

"I've brought a new coat"

From where did you bring it?

From the shop, where I bought it.

Drac

You've been reading my posts haven't you Graham.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lend > Borrow.

It has always got on my man-norks.

ourmaninthenorth

It's not so much that the internet is full of idiots, rather that there are the usual idiots who have now found themselves in a position to advertise their idiocy.

I work with highly paid, apparently intelligent people, who, among other irritating traits, aspirate their aitches and use "them" in place of "these" or "those".

I have advanced my contempt to mere indifference.

DezB
    Free Member

Please cbike, in your studies could you PLEASE PLEASE find the origins of somthinK and anythinK and nothinK?
    So I can go back in time and reverse it to stop all these people (including, occasionally, my own wife, who spends far too much time around teenagers) sounding like total F7^$*NG IDIOTS.
    thanks a lot.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've never heard this 'brought/bought' thing before. Is it an English thing?

nonk
    Free Member

why does being rubbish at english mean that you are stupid?
    some would say that this assumption in its self is proof of stupidity.
    i might be keen on this view for a reason though 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I also HATE the lack of apostrophes used nowadays.

Such as 'Yorkshires Finest Cakes'.

It is possessive you nonce – put a ufcking apostrophe in their*.

* 😉

ourmaninthenorth

why does being rubbish at english mean that you are stupid?

It doesn't; it just means you are more likely to originate from The North(tm).

nonk
    Free Member

just west of newcastle actually 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, nonk. Some would say that calling someone stupid for thinking someone stupid for not being able to speak English properly is the most stupid form of stupid there could possibly be.

😉

LenHankie

If you are English and can't speak English properly then you are stupid and/or lazy. Simple.

You're / your really winds me up, but I think the something/somefink thing is down to a regional/class accent.

*takes cover*

uplink
    Free Member

Has anyone axed you to do this cbike?

headfirst
    Free Member

im defiantly getting annoyed at the misuse of apostrophe's

Better put this for the slow'uns: 😉

GrahamS

You're / your really winds me up

Yep.

1: "Your stupid"

2: "My stupid what?"

1: "OMG u dont even no wot stupid is. Looser."

2: "Tighter."

1: "wot?"

I guess it's entirely possible that the first actor in this sketch is actually a triple-PhD Oxford professor and chairman of Mensa, but somehow it seems unlikely.

kevonakona
    Free Member

less/fewer and one i heard yesterday talking about military deaths "lesser" most of those within about 4 rows of me heard the expeletives.

DezB
    Free Member

but I think the something/somefink thing is down to a regional/class accent.

Regional/class?? Which one? I live in the south, where people say it and this annoying Liverpulian bloke opposite me says it all the time.
    I think it's down to stupity.

nonk
    Free Member

so if someone lacks the skills you have that makes them stupid?

ourmaninthenorth

Has anyone axed you to do this cbike?

Ah, you're thinking of, inter alia, Chaucer, aren't you, and the recent metathesis of the original variants "aks" and "ask"? 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've never heard this 'brought/bought' thing before. Is it an English thing?

No, I've seen it used on both UK and US websites, so not just English. However it seems almost unheard of in people with English as a second language, which suggests that English is being taught properly abroad, but not in the UK/US! The aitch/haitch confusion drives me nuts at times.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would suggest that if someone lacks the necessary skills to communicate correctly in their first language, they certainly show signs of not being very intelligent. Of course some people have specific disabilities such as autism and dyslexia which could give people the impression that they are stupid when, in fact, they have a specific disability which makes communication through the written language sometimes hard to do.

People who do not know the difference between 'brought' and 'bought' or 'their' and 'there' just show signs of stupidity through a lack of ability (or desire) to learn English correctly.

jon1973
    Free Member

I hate the unnecessary use of punctuation just to emphasise a point !!!!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I see what you did there…

nonk
    Free Member

mf
    arrogance brought about by the fact that you are english.

ourmaninthenorth

People who do not know the difference between 'brought' and 'bought' or 'their' and 'there' just show signs of stupidity through a lack of ability (or desire) to learn English correctly.

And coming from the North.

Musn't forget that.

Hee hee. 😀

mike_p
    Free Member

so if someone lacks the skills you have that makes them stupid?

When it comes to mother tongues… pretty much, yes.

Sidney
    Free Member

I hate stupity!

I lived in Liverpool for 8 years and people always ask to "lend" a pen/tenner/other daily object of you. That is really wrong.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The aitch/haitch confusion drives me nuts at times.

Me too. People are going to start saying feff, mem and woubleyou soon 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

arrogance brought about by the fact that you are english.

Sorry? Where is the arrogance? I was simply putting my point of view across about what makes someone stupid or not based on their grasp of their first language. I do not think I was being arrogant in any way whatsoever.

nonk
    Free Member

sorry mf i missed the bit about it being their first language.
    i take it back chap.

DezB
    Free Member

I must be arrogant too, because what you said, made perfect sense.

Lacking skills in the basics of communication? Yep, stupid.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Apology on a forum shock! Someone borrow* me a chair.

Accepted 🙂

*;-)

Shackleton

I work with many people who, despite being rather inteligent (Ph.D. or above), having varied social class origins and are from different regions of the country, confuse words or are unaware of grammatical errors. I imagine I would too, but both my parents are very literate and I read a lot of books as a child rather than watch television.

I imagine many of the issues being discussed here are the result of improper schooling, lower reading rates, poor grammatical and lexical support amongst family and friends and the all pervasive "dumbing down" of speech presented in the popular media. I doubt TXT speek or 1337 speek help much either. I especially dislike it when students use either of these in work they hand in. All of these problems would appear to be products of the environment we now live in. How to stop the downwards spiral?

Having just read what I have written above it all sounds very pretentious and Victorian. Hey ho 😐 . Smileys get on my goat too.

I ain't purfik neither. Somethings seem to have become ingrained 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

confuse words or are unaware of grammatical errors

I don't accept that an intelligent person (certainly not someone educated to Ph.D level) can have any excuse for making grammatical errors or confuse words. If they are able to learn a subject to that level, they are easily capable of learning their first language correctly (assuming, of course, they do not have a language-imparing disability).

ransos
    Free Member

I *hate* misuse of the reflexive pronoun. Saying "myself" when you mean "me" doesn't make you sound clever, it makes you sound like a telesales person.

clubber
    Free Member

don't accept that an intelligent person (certainly not someone educated to Ph.D level) can have any excuse for making grammatical errors or confuse words

Of course they can. They just place less importance on grammar than you do. Since they can still communicate perfectly effectively, who's to say that they're not the more intelligent people than those of us who get annoyed about it despite the fact that it has very little effect.

A bit like some mtbers I know who can't ride without stopping if something is not quite perfect (eg a brake lever isn't quite in line with the other) despite the fact that it's of no real effect.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘"Brought" and "Bought" My theory.’ is closed to new replies.