Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Brother not respecting donated bike?!
  • So I gave my only brother a decent trek ht which I generally maintain it for him. Anyway the last 2 nights he’s left it in his garden with no lock on it. His gardens pretty secure but …. Cost about £500 not including £200 worth of finishing kit. I’ve even installed a lock mount and a d-lock

I’ve already told him the first time to be careful but he’s done it again. What should I do?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Steal it.

cranberry
    Free Member

Not give him another one when this one gets stolen.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nick it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I like ernies suggestion tbh
    Nick it to teach him a lesson but give it back afterwards?

not much more you can do tbh

leffeboy

cranberry has it 🙁

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yeah nick it then ask to borrow it before he tells you it’s been nicked.

sockpuppet

Will he pay you for it if it gets stolen? If so, then do nothing, except maybe buy a new bike later on.

If not, then let him borrow all of it, except maybe the chain. Or the saddle.

higgo
    Free Member

You gave it away.
    Let him do what he wants with it.

(unless you gave it to him with conditions attached i.e. locking it)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Nick it, sell it. Never tell him.

Sounds like he won’t miss it as he clearly doesn’t appreciate it at all or perhaps he doesn’t know what it’s worth, because it was given to him and he’s not had to earn money to buy it.

poly
    Free Member

I know a number of people who keep moderately low value bikes unsecured or in unlocked sheds etc. You probably have a skewed perspective of the likelihood of theft from all the threads on here etc. In reality very few people go nosing about your back garden to see if the bike that is there is locked or not. Its possible that “hiding in plain sight” is actually an effective approach. High end bikes are nicked to order or carefully planned. Low end bikes are nicked from convenient places. Determined thief will break any lock, so all you deter is the passing opportunist – how many of them have been in his back garden?

carlos
    Free Member

higgo – Member
    You gave it away.

(unless you gave it to him with conditions attached i.e. locking it)

This^^

And this vv

cranberry – Member
    Not give him another one when this one gets stolen

Yeah I won’t be giving him another. Just fitted a newish thomson masterpiece post and great fizik saddle too. I agree my opinions comes from my more expensive bikes and I’m sure it’ll be fine in his garden

I won’t be able to sleep tonight lol

TooTall
    Free Member

He has invested nothing in the bike so cares not for it. The Bristol Bike Project found the same thing when they gave bikes to people. Now anyone getting a bike has to help do the last couple of hours of prepping the bike first. They have invested something in the bike. Losses of bikes dropped after this was introduced.

Can I have a bike as well please?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You gave it away.

Which does absolutely nothing to teach him to respect stuff.

Kahurangi

Just fitted a newish thomson masterpiece post and great fizik saddle too.

To the bike you gave away??? 😮 😯

You’re far too generous and he doesn’t appreciate it.

I agree with the principle that you gave it away and it’s now his to use/mistreat.

However, steal it back soon because someone else will.

charliedontsurf

D lock him to the bike.

They will bond over time.

spooky_b329

Steal it. If he tells you its been stolen, ‘buy’ it back from that well known auction site. If he keeps quiet, sell it, and give him a crappy old £50 second hand thing that he can leave in his garden if you feel sorry for him 🙂

(does he know how much the bikes worth?)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Put some Bombers on it.

honourablegeorge

Burn down his house.

He’ll then have to move in with you, and the bike will be safe in your shed.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I will give you £20 quid for the post / saddle – assuming you are splitting the bike after you steal it.

binners

You’re clearly, and understandably concerned about ‘your’ bike, and the terrible treatment it is receiving. I suggest you give it instead a home where it will be loved and cherished. Somewhere with a nice warm shed for it to sleep in, where it will be securely locked up with its friends. My shed, for example. 😀

MSP

Obsessing over things that don’t belong to you makes you a better person, now go and murder him, it’s what Jesus wants.

higgo
    Free Member

You gave it away.

Did the OP give the bike away as a medium for moral instruction?
    If the OP’s brother loses/abuses the bike he may or may not learn something but I don’t think it’s the OP’s place to be teaching him how to respect stuff.

donsimon
    Free Member

Unless there is something the OP isn’t saying, it is the brother’s bike to do exactly as he pleases.

IHN

How old are you? How old is your brother?

If you’re both fully grown men, then either you tell him you’re taking the bike back as you don’t like the way he’s treating it, or you leave him to treat it how he likes and deal with any consequences (which may include it getting nicked and you not giving him another)

It is, after all, just a bike.

binners

Just a bike? JUST A BIKE? JUST?… A?… BIKE?

I just don’t know you any more?

br
    Free Member

Surely you knew how he would look after it – he is your brother…

higgo
    Free Member

How old are you? How old is your brother?

If you’re both fully grown men, then either you tell him you’re taking the bike back…

In my family, once you’ve given something away you don’t take it back.

IHN

It’s alright Binners, I’m still the man you love 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

Did you not know he’d be like this before you gave him the bike? He must surely be the sort of person who just doesn’t care that you felt you were giving him something special – even if he doesn’t care about the bike he should care as it’s a gift from someone who does.

elaineanne
    Free Member

day 1 : steal the thompson post and fizik saddle…
    day 2… steal the front wheel
    day 3.. steal the back wheel
    day 4.. steal the rear mech
    day 5…hopefully he shud be feeling confused
    day 6…tell him you know nothing
    day 7…tell him you warned him to be careful now **** off on ya own bike without him (the ungreatful little basket ! 😉 :mrgreen:

murf
    Free Member

My wee brother uses my old trek y3 which I leave in my parents garage. He leaves it tied up (ie, not locked up) in various places for ages on end. He was on Facebook a few weeks ago asking if anyone had seen it as he had forgotten where he left it!!
    It’s essentially value less so I’m not all that bothered but I need to get my dx thumbies off it before it finally goes awol 😆

Leku
    Free Member

Saw my brother at the weekend and he has my old 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3. He arrived wearing disco road slippers and a totally flat rear shock. The shame…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

very few people go nosing about your back garden to see if the bike that is there is locked or not

Well thats exactly what the Police told me happens in our area. They will do a whole street at a time, trying cars/sheds/windows/garages. Easy pickings

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Brother not respecting donated bike?!’ is closed to new replies.