Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Brooks saddles – are they all that?
  • ransos
    Free Member

im guessing you dont like them ransos.

🙂

Well, the OP did ask…

buckster
    Free Member

Not really. There is always a balance between performance, weight, durability and cost. Brooks saddles are uncomfortable, weigh more than a boat anchor, dissolve in the rain, and are eye-wateringly expensive.

Mine has outlasted every ‘modern’ saddle Ive ever owned, winter, summer and spring. Maybe the one you owned to compare was a cheap or not so knock off?

epicyclo

ransos – Member
    … Brooks saddles are uncomfortable, weigh more than a boat anchor, dissolve in the rain, and are eye-wateringly expensive.

Uncomfortable conflicts with their popularity amongst the Audax set, the guys who put the big mileages and hours in on the saddle.
    Weight – no argument there. They are heavier than short lived plastic, and for an actual race lighter may be better.
    Dissolve in rain – only if you’re an incompetent owner, in which case plastic is better while it lasts. I wonder how all those saddles used to last for decades before all the internet experts started talking about them.
    Expensive – not particularly. Apart from the Charge Spoon, I generally pay around the price of a Brooks for a decent saddle.

There is one advantage of Brooks not mentioned – there’s no need to wear that special nappy that so many need with a plastic saddle, what’s it called, a chamois? 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Uncomfortable conflicts with their popularity amongst the Audax set, the guys who put the big mileages and hours in on the saddle.

In my experience, the most popular saddle amongst the audax set is the Charge Spoon. I expect it’s because it’s much lighter, much more comfortable and much cheaper than a Brooks.

Mine has outlasted every ‘modern’ saddle Ive ever owned, winter, summer and spring. Maybe the one you owned to compare was a cheap or not so knock off?

In fairness, I expect quite a lot of them last well: that tends to happen with components people have the good sense to not use.

buckster
    Free Member

Ransos, its clear you dont like them. Mine has done thousands of miles racing on the road and track as well as leisure and training, its been great. Far greater than any Sella/lightweight Ti etc. Ive owned. Never owned a Charge Spoon as Ive not bought a saddle since 2005.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

best displayed in museums ……and traction engines.

Wo wo wo leave the traction engines out of it! Traction engines and the like are best seen in steam not sat cold in a building.

If weight is a issue they is the no maintenance carbon C13.

Cheers, Steve

scotroutes

Brooks are very popular with the LEJOG crew too. Easily the most popular brand of saddle.

ransos
    Free Member

In fairness, out on rides I have asked a few owners why they bought them, but they were all too out of breath to reply, presumably from hauling the boat anchor attached to the top of their bikes.

RustySpanner

Have had Brooks saddles most of my riding life, but have just managed to kick the habit.

Finally found a saddle that really fits as well as a Brooks after 30 odd years of trying.

Now I can move my saddle a bit further back.
    I don’t have to clean it and proof it every few months and it doesn’t have a huge metal cantle plate that is uncomfortable to sit on if you fancy a stretch.
    It’s comfier too.
    And cheaper.

You really need to try one.
    They are great saddles, but if you try enough you might find something equally as good but with fewer disadvantages.

trail_rat
    Free Member

n fairness, out on rides I have asked a few owners why they bought them, but they were all too out of breath to reply, presumably from hauling the boat anchor attached to the top of their bikes.

Riding never gets easier you just get faster.

Reminds me of the Irish lad who was my minute man at the glamis 10 . You’d think I was making him ride it. He was very sheepish about it at the end. Turns out my boat anchor can shift.

ransos
    Free Member

Riding never gets easier you just get faster.

Reminds me of the Irish lad who was my minute man at the glamis 10 . You’d think I was making him ride it. He was very sheepish about it at the end. Turns out my boat anchor can shift.

Well, it was really sporting of you to give everyone else a chance by taking a handicap.

cynic-al
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    Don’t know why people worry about Brooks saddles getting wet. Must be an internet thing

Have seen some get destroyed being ridden wet.

It was on the internet to be fair.

RustySpanner

To be fair, most people used mudguards when Brooks were the popular saddle of choice, so less of an issue.

I’ve always just proofed/Nikwaxed the underside from new and not had issues, even without guards.
    Top just gets the odd clean and a little proofer now and then.
    Have used a lot of placcy bags though.
    🙂

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I have had most models and was lucky enough to be one of the original testers for the cambium….I use a cambium on my mountain bikes and the real deal on the road bikes. A B17 special is my favourite, and has had thousands of miles put on it in the last 10 years or so, but every other one is supremely comfortable, apart form a swallow, which I sold as it hurt my hoop…..but then I’m a big bloke, with a fair bit of gravity behind me.

Imagine how fast I would be if I could put up with one of those light things….?

Bollox to that though…..it interferes with my bimbling

epicyclo

How to destroy a Brooks:

Let it dry out, then go for a ride in the rain. Retension. Let it dry out again. There you are, it’s buggered.

How to maintain a Brooks:

Proof it so it doesn’t dry out and reapply every now and them.

They can take considerable abuse. The most common proofing agent when I was young wasn’t their fancy beeswax. Most of us used the same 3-in-1 oil that we used for all jobs on the bike – the famous wipe with an oily rag technique.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve put at least 15,000 off-road kilometres on my C15 carved regularly ride it without a pad it’s comfy for several hours with out and 34:30 in bibs so far.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Brooks saddles – are they all that?’ is closed to new replies.