• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tron.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Brooks Saddles
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

I'm in the process of building a SS road bike out of a 1980's Raleigh and would like to put a older style saddle on it to keep the look of the original bike.

Are Brooks saddles comfy as you always read they are and has anyone got one I could borrow to try out before I spooge £80 or so on another saddle to go in the bag of saddles I have that don't fit my ass

I'm after one similar to the one below

Thanks in advance

sc-xc

In my experience, Brooks get more comfortable the more you ride them…sitting on a saddle that has worn to the shape of someone else's arse isn't going to help.

They are very comfy after a few hundred miles though

ken_shields
    Free Member

All saddles get comfier the more you ride them if they fit you.

I was thinking more of how the shape fits my ass which you can't tell from looking at it on a web site, holding it in a shop or even just sitting on it but you can tell from a short ride hence why I wanted to borrow one for a weekend

druidh
    Free Member

There are lots of different shapes of Brooks saddles too….

ken_shields
    Free Member

I know….that's why I posted a pic of the one above as that's the one that looks closest to the Fizik Gobi that I know fits me 🙄

Tricone
    Free Member

That looks like a Brooks Swallow. If you go for the titanium one (you need to save weight where you can – they are heavy!) it is basically their top of the line and a lot more than 80 quid.

JonBurns
    Free Member

I always think the B17 Narrow is the brooks of choice, it's not massively wide like some of the others and not horrendously expensive like the swallow or swift.

But then again what price do you put on comfort 😆

singletracksurfer

I have that saddle saddle (it is the swallow) and I also have a Fizik Gobi that fits me nicely. Haven't ridden my Brooks much at all yet though as I'm waiting to build a new bike to put it on.

You'll be paying around £200 (with ti rails) for one new though.

I'm in the Reading area.

mrnmissespanda

My brooks swallow has molded to my bottom and is now my favourite saddle ever, although it did take about 400miles to get to that point.

Panda

tommid
    Free Member

I have a Brooks Team Pro in Green that is just sitting here with copper rivets and rails that you could have a god with. I am not to far from MK (I say not to far I'm in Cambridge) I am sure we can come to some deal.
    I have a swift as well on my CX bike that I am just breaking in, takes a while, but once done they are amazing.

tron
    Free Member

Eh? 1980s Raleighs came with plastic and vinyl saddles in the main. Closest thing I can think of today in terms of shape would be the Selle San Marco Rolls.

ken_shields
    Free Member

It is a Swallow and yes I know how much they are 😯

tron – Member
    Eh? 1980s Raleighs came with plastic and vinyl saddles in the main.

I don't care what they had originally. I'm not restoring it to standard I'm building a bike that I want to ride

Tommid

Thanks for the offer. I may be in touch if I can't borrow a Swallow

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Best thing to say about a Brooks is that you dont think about it when you're on a long ride.

Edric64
    Free Member

Buy a b17 and get the sides cut down to that shape .There is a guy on the LFGSS site who does it .You can also google the technique http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

coastkid
    Free Member

the team pro and swallows are designed for road style riding- down on the drops, B17 for sit up and beg posture riding if that helps…
    i have 2 B17s and love em… 😮

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

I would disagree with that coastkid. I use a B17 on my road bike and spend a lot of time on the drops.

Edric64
    Free Member

B17 is a road bike saddle .Been specced on drop bar bikes for eons

trail_rat
    Free Member

sorry but to compare a brooks to any other saddle "fitting the more you ride them" is stupid ….

brooks are like no modern saddle . If i gave you my b17 you would likely hate it – as if i rode obi twas it would hurt – if i rode coast kids it would likely hurt … but both mine are sweet for me ! you can see the dimples where i sit

i have done 500k in a weekend on mine(and many more between breaking it in and that particular ride) – got off the bike and thought gee my legs ache a bit but never my bum – even my beloved flite cant do that. Ive got b17s on my road bike and on my time trial bike. A swallow Ti is going on my new bike !

asking to borrow a mans brooks is like asking to borrow his wife !

ken_shields
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    asking to borrow a mans brooks is like asking to borrow his wife !

Pics please 😉

tron
    Free Member

I'm in the process of building a SS road bike out of a 1980's Raleigh and would like to put a older style saddle on it to keep the look of the original bike.

I don't care what they had originally. I'm not restoring it to standard I'm building a bike that I want to ride

😀

I'd not advise restoring many Raleighs to standard – a lot came with gopping groupsets.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Brooks Saddles’ is closed to new replies.