Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brooks saddle: Taking it off for winter
  • mrmoofo

Okay, I have just taken the Brooks off, and put on my Spoon fabric covered things.
    By heck, it is uncomfortable ….

Maybe I will get used to it …. but is there anything better out there?
    The Brooks is off because my regular route on the south downs is very wet / muddy on the way down …

schmiken

Proofride the bottom of the Brooks?

boxelder
    mrmoofo

Are cambium durable ?
    The fact is is made from rubber, old lace knickers and socks puts me off ….
    Do the give in the same way a leather ?
    It is already proofrided ….

frankconway

I have a Cambium C15; good to go out of the box, no proofing required. I’ve used it in all sorts of weather with no problem.

Brooks have now brought out the Cambium waterproof range – C15/17/19 full saddle or carved version; see boxelder’s link^^^

Cambiums don’t need ‘breaking in’ unlike the more traditional saddles but I think a properly broken-in and regularly proofed leather Brooks will always be hard to beat. As they’ve been around for so long – and before the days of synthetic materials – I would suggest a leather Brooks is upto all conditions unless you leave it exposed to the elements for an extended period.

You could contact Oliver Parsons who is the Brooks Marketing Director – oliver@brooksengland.com – and invite him to comment.

zanelad
    Free Member

I’ve got a Cambium on my road bike. Comfy from the off and after 5 months it still looks good as new.

RustySpanner

I used to use the shower cap thingy you got free with the saddles when parked up.
    And a big seatpack with a plastic bag stuffed between it and the saddle helps when on the move.

Regular coatings of proofide/Nikwax underneath and the odd coat on the top and it’ll be fine.

Ride it when unproofed and then saturated and you’ll never get the proper shape back.

mrmoofo

thanks all …
    Plastic bag under & proof ride may be the way to go …

jeff

It’s very sandy round here – my brooks lost a lot of it’s smooth polished surface on one really wet ride.

tbf, we did you through a gravel quarry…

Pickers

Wasn’t the original Cambium supposed to be weatherproof?
    Mine have been fine, they’ve certainly seen rain and mud.
    What’s with the more weatherproof ones?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brooks saddle: Taking it off for winter’ is closed to new replies.