Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Brompton shoot themselves in the foot…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

… and give me a pain in the arse.

LBS stopped stocking them because it was just too bureaucratic and financially irritating dealing with the eccentric and silly people at Brompton.

Now it takes two weeks to scour the internet for spare parts and do a new wheel-fix for me.

Bah! 👿

scotroutes

I recall looking at stocking Brompton and we decided against due to their stock holding policies.

Pierre

If you _need_ to get the cheapest parts, it may take two weeks. However, if you can suck up a couple of quid in the name of convenience, just give any decent Brompton dealer a call. Brompton are usually very good at educating their dealers and ensuring they keep a decent stock of spare parts. Most will be able to take a card payment over the phone and stick something in the post for you.

Edit, @scotroutes, yes we too – but we don’t have the space (or the cash!) to hold the volume of stock they require their dealers to have. But that’s why I recommend the OP contacts a dealer, because they’ll probably have what he needs.

lovewookie

and I thought the STW go to Brompton shop was kinetics?

benp1

Depends where you live/work. My Brompton got a new rear sprocket (to lower the gearing) and chain this morning. Popped into my LBS near work where I bought it and they did it on the spot.

The Brompton shop, the official one is round the corner. Most local shops, whether they’re LBS or a big chain like Evans, stock Bromptons.

But I live in London so perhaps it’s different here

What do you need?

aP
    Free Member

Brilliant Bikes in Chobham have a huge spares selection available in the shop (and via web).

bencooper
    Free Member

Snap, was just about to say Brilliant for spares – St John St Cycles are also very good.

Joe

The real problem is that the margins are crap.

slowoldman

Literally?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The margins are OK, given what you’re buying/selling.

My LBS shifts a lot of Bromptons. Many of them are to customers who have already bought other bikes from them. They’re easy to have a few in stock, easy to explain the ordering (and delays!) process, and easy to sell. Also, if you let the customer know how to look after them, they’re very, very low maintenance. Mine is about five years old, never really been touched bar a clean now and then.

Bromptons make customers happy like no other bike does. Yes, they have their foibles, but in this day and age, what bike doesn’t? (See front page standards article for more!).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Most local shops, whether they’re LBS or a big chain like Evans, stock Bromptons.

Bollocks.

Brompton hold stock well IME. margins vary dramatically depending on how much you sell.

Plenty available online and discounting is limited again IME.

benp1

What’s bollocks?

Most local shops, to me, stock bromptons (I’m referring to London and in particular where I work)

bencooper
    Free Member

Bromptons make customers happy like no other bike does. Yes, they have their foibles, but in this day and age, what bike doesn’t?

This is true – the fact that people are willing to give me 3-4x the base bike price to build a custom one says a lot about the appeal of the basic design.

Also, that I regularly see 10+ year old bikes back for servicing or upgrades.

Dibbs
    Free Member

St John St Cycles are also very good.

But watch their postage charges.

wwaswas

the STW go to Brompton shop was kinetics?

I don;t think he;s actually a Brompton dealer, though?

Just a gifted bodger of frames 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

I was a Brompton dealer for about 10 years, but not any more – now I just tweak them 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Brompton shoot themselves in the foot…’ is closed to new replies.