Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BrokenDSLRtrackworld
  • robertgray05
    Free Member

So my Dad’s really nice Canon 5D MkIII and L-series lens had an accident with the sea.

Any recommendations on a camera geek forum with a classifieds section where I might find a spares-or-repairs buyer?

The camera doesn’t power on, despite my best attempts at cleaning up the most accessible contacts. The lens, when attached to a different body, makes some noises (AF or IS I’m not sure) but no red AF points and gives an 01 error if you try to take an image.

tlr

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have never seen a ‘spares or repairs’ sale on a photography forum. You could try talk photography forum.

Edit: sorry, misread I think, I thought you wanted to buy a ‘spares or repair’ camera.

budgierider67

Salt water is very bad news for cameras. Even the manufacturer’s service centres won’t touch them so I doubt you will get much return for it;

Link

robertgray05
    Free Member

Yeah I know it’s Not Good. He’s sucking it up and is now prepared to sell a few grand of kit for whatever he can get!

Cheers for talk photography tip, but need account for 60 days before posting in buy/sell so I guess it’s going on ebay.

Cheers anyway 🙂

B

bigyinn
    Free Member

E-bay might be a better bet. Sell it as spares only.
    Any electrical gubbins that have been exposed to salt water are best considered dead. So its really only useful for mechanical parts recovery.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

E-bay might be a better bet. Sell it as spares only.

This.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I sold a similarly water damaged 5 III last month on eBay got £200 but mine was fresh water and booted up after a month. I’d expect £120 ish?

What lens was it?

jca

I claimed against my home insurance policy when a similar accident befell my 17-35mm lens. I had to drop the lens in at a Jessops branch who sent it for evaluation by their service centre who unsuprisingly said it was a right off. I had accidental damage cover but although the lens wasn’t specifically itemised the insurers coughed up with no quibbles, other than I had to pay the excess obviously.

May be worth talking to his insurers and see if they will cover it.

robertgray05
    Free Member

So I listed on ebay and within 10 minutes I have two bids at my £100 starting price and two private messages offering to buy for £300 and £450 if I end it early! Just gonna let this one run. Anyway, cheers for thoughts everyone.

tlr

God bless eBay. That’s pretty crazy when I bought a fully warrantied 5d mk2 recently from a shop for £300.

Good luck to you.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I tell a lie mine was an ii.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BrokenDSLRtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.