Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Broken tyre bead – ok to ride?
  • Paulio
    Free Member

An unfortunate incident with a really inaccurate air compressor resulted in ringing ears, a liberal covering of sticky white stuff and a snapped kevlar tyre bead on a Racing Ralph.

Looking at it I reckon it's probably OK to run with a tube, or am I asking for trouble?

Stoner
    Free Member

asking for trouble.

The bead is fundamental to the tyre staying on the rim when inflated. Its not just a UST/tubless thing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

yup, don't even think about it.

Paulio
    Free Member

I know. I'm finding it hard to come to terms with having to bin a practically new tyre! I think I've moved on to the acceptance stage.

tazzymtb

Unfortunately the tyre will now leave the rim at anything over 15psi. Even without a compressor mis-hap ralphs and nics do fail on the bead with a stans setup over time as I've had 4 of the buggers blow up, one in the car on the way home after a race.That took f**kin ages to clean up!

tazzymtb

Paulio- I've got a couple of rides old ust ralph in 2.1 I can can lob in the post for you if you want it. It's just part of the tyre mountain at the moment.

Paulio
    Free Member

Thanks tazymtb, that's much appreciated but I've already got a replacement standing by. I was just deciding whether to add the busted one to my tyre mountain or to get rid.

Cheers all.
    Paul

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Broken tyre bead – ok to ride?’ is closed to new replies.