Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Broken tooth removal tomorrow….
  • mintimperial

I dunno really, I’m not a dentist. Probably a good idea to carry on until it feels like it’s properly healing, if you can stand it, but yeah it’s a bit gross…

stever
    Free Member

I know you’ve had it done now but wanted to share. I had one done at the University Hospital – postgrad training. Hot day, dentist had a bit of a cold. Broken bit broke off again, less to grab hold off. Lots of blood and general riving about. Next thing I know the dentist fainted and there was a bit of kerfuffle (thought it was me that was supposed to faint). Prof steps in and it gets even more agricultural. Strong fella for such a small man. He got it eventually.

12 months later I’ve got a lovely implant filling the gap – guess they felt guilty and took pity 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Don’t think I can afford an implant.Also bit of root left hanging in there

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Like to clean my teeth but wondering if using my listerene will be ok.Its stingy at the best of times

stever
    Free Member

Sorry bonded bridge, not implant. Think I would have thought hard about paying but managed to get it done at the Uni because it was an interesting case. Good luck.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Two days on gums still a bit sore and I,m still taking pain killers.Living of soft foods isn’t exactly improving my mood either.Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I can recount this now the OP has been done:

One of the top two front teeth was cracked at some point, dentist reckons up to a year or so before it caused me any trouble. I’d been living abroad and skipped dentist’s check-ups, not that it would have ultimately made any difference.

The tooth was cracked exactly on the gum line, so he was dubious about an easy job. I was needled to bits in my gums and, sure enough, the crown broke off at the gumline and he explained that a tool might be needed to extract the remains. He then pops onto the table a packet containing a lovely, clinical-looking metal mallet with a plastic head and what I can only describe as a jeweller’s screwdriver with a slightly larger handle. After some sterling efforts to get the root out with his extractor, he relented and, very apologetically, said he’d have to unwrap the other tools. I forget the name, something like peristick.

The procedure, he said, would be to hammer the spiky part down between the root and my skull, to help free the tooth. Worst case would be that he had to work around the complete root, but typically they only need a little encouragement. Now, I don’t about anyone else, but the experience of having somebody hammer a spike into your face is not a pleasant one. For all her commendable professional stoicism, the occasional look of fear on the assistant’s face did nothing to improve my lot. There was no pain, but it felt so, so very wrong; medieval, surreal. After a dozen or so whacks he tried again with the extractor; but, no. He worked his way around the whole root for five or ten minutes, occasionally rummaging around with the pliers, before, like an amateur mechanic, dropping his shoulders in resignation and saying “I’ll have to fetch Omar.” . For some reason, maybe it was the hammering to my face, I thought this was just an affectionate term for a bigger hammer. Turns out Omar was the senior dentist, who set about my head in the way only a dispassionate Pro can. At one point he had his knee on my chest as he demanded “keep your head back! Keep your head back!!” as he pulled with all his might at the stubborn incisor. His hammering was much more assertive than the other fella, like a time-served mechanic pounding a seized bearing. It took another ten minutes of hammering/pulling to free me from this painless torture.

For all there was no pain at any point, the blatant brutality of the experience was not lost on my psych. Once the adrenaline had worn off I felt like I’d been assaulted and the headache followed me around for a couple of days at least.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Well day 7 after my difficult extraction and there’s still some pain and swelling.Is this normal?Can one become addicted to ibuprofen?Thanks for any help,Grumpy.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Anybody know the length of sentence I will get for bombering a dentist?

aracer
    Free Member

Just had mine done. It was pleasantly pain free, and I didn’t even really mind all the tugging and levering. Anaesthetic starting to wear off now, and the pain starting to come, but that’s expected. Would all be quite a positive experience if it wasn’t that when I had a feel with my tongue I find there’s a bit missing from the tooth in front – so I presume I’m now going to have to have a filling on that (and not sure whether I need to make an urgent appointment with my dentist for that tomorrow). Strangely they didn’t mention anything about that…

theotherjonv

keep your tongue out of the hole, if the clot comes away then you’ll know about it apparently!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Even if you don’t use your tongue you’ll still no about it.Two weeks on I,m still getting twinges but that might be because the root that snapped is digging into my gum.DEATH TO DENTISTS.

tenfoot

I’ve had 2 teeth out in recent years and certainly had no pain after 2 weeks. Sounds like you need to go back and see if they can sort out that root.

jamj1974

There must be something catching about this thread – I now have an abscess and am on antibiotics. I’m also changing dentist after mine left the practice by emigrating and they think a 21 day wait for a root canal is appropriate. I’m in bloody agony here!

*Edit. I also stink of clove oil.

aracer
    Free Member

Pain had gone for me 24 hours after – though I’m not sure mine could be described as a difficult extraction. Hurts a bit now, but then I suspect if I’d said I was playing trumpet and trombone at band practice just over a day after they’d have told me not to, so I didn’t mention it 8)

They did seem to think they’d left a bit of root behind, but only a very tiny bit and it was likely to make things worse trying to get it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Broken tooth removal tomorrow….’ is closed to new replies.