Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Broken spoke – will his wheel explode?
  • jonke
    Free Member

My mate has a 2011 spicy 516.

Spoke broke on the rear wheel while out on a ride last week and hes been told it will take a couple of weeks to get a spare. All other spokes look decently tensioned. Wer’re booked in for bike park wales on saturday. If he uses the bike will he be killed to death by an exploding wheel?

Does anyone know where he might get a replacement?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 out at once and I have all my teeth HMMY. They are his teeth it’s his choice. Are they silly fancy spokes?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What’s special about the spoke?

jonke
    Free Member

No idea whats special about it, but mountaintrax said its a special order item. I checked and they are fulcrum redzone wheels if that means anything?

foureyes
    Free Member

How did he get on Jonke? just bust one on my rear wheel tonight and it felt like the wheel was suddenly twisting and squishing on any decent impact or side load, needless to say the nipple and an inch of spoke disappeared inside the chamber… not sure how I’m going to get them out in order to fix it///

br
    Free Member

a

foureyes
    Free Member

Just in case anybody needs it, I got in touch with ibike who are the fulcrum service centre and it’s about £33 plus postage to get the broken part out of the rim and install a new spoke. Pretty pleased with this , normally I fix my own wheels but this set has been great and worth keeping running 🙂

jonke
    Free Member

You know i think hes still waiting to get fixed! Will send him this thread.

Northwind

I gave up trying to find spare spokes for my red zone xlrs. Never going to buy a Fulcrum product again tbh… If he’s struggling (and it’s XLRs) then I’ve got 24 lightly used spare spokes cunningly packaged into a bent rim so I could probably extract a good one…

mudpackerdan
    Free Member

I rode Innerleithen with 4 or 5 missing spokes the day after my derailleur decided to go for a wander at glentress. I was so hungover that day that I can’t remember any flex at all! Only my ears/brain pounding.

Lasted OK though, you’ll probably be fine.

foureyes
    Free Member

Got my wheel back from i-bike, £39 including courier. good to be up and rolling again and i-bike did a great job. Did make me kind of appreciate my perhaps slightly less sexy Hope hubbed home made wheels a bit more though

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Broken spoke – will his wheel explode?’ is closed to new replies.