• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Dair.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Broken ribs – xc armour
  • Dair
    Free Member

I have just broken two ribs for the second/third time (I think one of the previous times was just bruising) this year. Basically, whenever I fall, I must do the exact same thing to try and protect my body, which results in rib injury.

I am now seriously thinking about armouring up. Is it possible to get lightwieght xc friendly chest armour? I could, of course, just slow down and take it easy, but, come on, where’s the fun in that!?

wwaswas

does sound like you’d be better training yourself to fall off differently?

jam-bo

Don’t think I have ever seen any armour that would protect your ribs.

If your going to keep crashing , Learn to fall off better…

GW
    Free Member

armour doesn’t stop broken ribs (from experience)

what wwaswas said ^^

Dair
    Free Member

If your going to keep crashing , Learn to fall off better…

…because it happens so slowly, and there’s so much time to think about it!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

There are roost guards and core savers out there on the market, plenty of companies make them and I’d imagine they would protect your ribs from jarring impact should you say…land on some rocks however, if your ribs are getting broken due to compression or some sort of contortion then I’d imagine most armour would do bugger all.

Dair
    Free Member

armour doesn’t stop broken ribs (from experience)

I’m strangely happy with that response. I didn’t really fancy it, and now I can tell Mrs Dair that there literally is nothing I can do!

P.S. sorry for my grumpy previous post – it’s the ribs talking.

wwaswas

but, as you say, there must be some common factor about how you fall that you could think about.

Falling off is, largely, instinct but you can train yourself to do soemthing different – I used to twist my right foot if I fell off the right as I didn’t unclip properly and tried to put my knee down to take my weight – I’ve been much better at unclipping before I stick my knee out now I’ve thought about it.

other thign to consider is, if they’re ‘light’ falls, is your bone density – I found I had low bone density after I broke my hip in a fall off a bike (my bones were about 75 years old in terms of bone density but trapped int he body of a 35 year old). Maybe some vit d + calcium supplements?

GW
    Free Member

never said there is nothing you can do (quite the opposite)

lcj

As mentioned, there’s not a lot you could wear to stop broken ribs, particularly now that would be comfy for xc, but you could have a look at the 661 Core Saver, or the 661 Sub Gear Tee or Vest. They would probably give you more confidence than anything, but might take the edge off a hit.

crashasaurus
    Free Member

I think it’s perfectly realistic to learn how to fall. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard pro bmx and dh riders say that very thing. Doesn’t mean you are going to come away from every crash completely unscathed, but anything you can do to give yourself a better chance of avoiding injury.

I’ve been on plenty of rides with people who seem to be capable of breaking stuff of even the most innocuous of falls. Usually the same people who are a bit clumsy and unco-ordinated off the bike too.

Look at rugby, judo, parkour etc. Plenty examples of people out there throwing themselves around quite brutally without serious injury.

votchy
    Free Member

Core savers etc have front and back protection, the broken ribs I have suffered have been from impacts to the side below my armpit, bike falls and martial arts so armour wouldn’t help. Have seen articles about falling off properly, not sure I could do as they say but the theory seems sound.

DT78
    Free Member

Votchy – I came off the other month and busted a few ribs (and collar bone) for me it was exactly where the camelbak buckle got rammed into the rib cage, under the armpit.

I think a small amount of padding there would have helped disapate the force and probably not have cracked them. However this has only happened to me once in 20yrs of riding so I won’t be rushing out to buy a core saver –

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Learn to fall properly – martial arts / breakfalls are a great help. How do you know it is broken ribs not bruising / costal cartilage / intercostal muscle damage?

Dair
    Free Member

How do you know it is broken ribs not bruising / costal cartilage / intercostal muscle damage?

X-ray. Instead of going to the minor injuries clinic at the Western, I toughed it out for 4 hours at ERI. I’m a big fan of the Western, but the treatment at ERI was first class. Good doctor, very thorough examination and x-ray. Very impressed.

I’ve been on plenty of rides with people who seem to be capable of breaking stuff of even the most innocuous of falls. Usually the same people who are a bit clumsy and unco-ordinated off the bike too.

Um, thanks.

I have always thought that I’m better at falling off my bike than I am at riding it! In ten years of biking, I’ve always managed to escape serious injury, other than ribs and a skinned elbow.

Even my latest fall, which was sufficiently high-speed to completely destroy my front wheel and bend my forks, only resulted in broken ribs. I am reluctant to try something different, which might protect my ribs in exchange for my front teeth, but I suppose there wouldn’t be any harm in looking into it.

I played rugby for years, so I’m not afraid of contact and knocks and big crashes, but I am getting a bit tired of this particular injury.

I hadn’t thought of bone density. Can that be tested?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dair – interesting. They don’t usually x ray for broken ribs as there is no treatment so no need to do so.

wwaswas

Can that be tested?

yes, special x-ray machine. Difficult to get on the NHS if you’re a man under 70 though…

Dair
    Free Member

They don’t usually x ray for broken ribs as there is no treatment so no need to do so.

I know, I was a bit surprised, but I also had back pain, which might have been the x-ray.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Just done the same thing myself at Coedy this weekend just gone. It doesn’t matter which of bruising / costal cartilage / intercostal muscle damage hes done TJ, it still **** hurts the same. However, on a point of order and returning to the point of the OP, can I jsut point out that bruising does not attract the same level of admonition that broken ribs does…… so mine are merely bruised… fair enough?? 😉

poppa
    Free Member

How are you falling off, is it the same ‘way’ each time?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I did 2 things to help minimise injury
    1. Joined a gym to work on core and agility
    2. Taught myself to fall better. My usual technique is not to let go of the bars and use the bike to break my fall or slow me down.

Dair
    Free Member

How are you falling off, is it the same ‘way’ each time?

Yes – always exiting off the left side of the bike. I feel “in control” that way. As soon as I enter the crash zone, I commit to the crash (if that makes sense) and don’t try to stay with the bike. My focus is on safely separating myself from the bike, and landing in such a way that will protect my head. I basically try to roll out of the situation, if I can.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Broken ribs – xc armour’ is closed to new replies.