Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Broken rib?
  • Blacklug
    Free Member

I fell off the bike about a month ago now. Landed on my side taking the wind out of me. My ribs didnt feel too sore untill a day or two later. Then 2weeks ago I yawned rather enthusiastically and felt a very painful click in the area of the sore rib … and the rib hurt 10fold.
    It hurts to breath too heavilly, sleeping on that side is impossible.

Could it be a broken rib or something else?

samuri
    Free Member

It could be a broken rib, yes. Plus the stuff that binds them together can come loose.
    Anything in that area is very painful though. I;ve broken numerous ribs over the years and it is a serious ball ache.

Nothing you can do really, unless you start coughing blood up, which you've not so tough I'm afraid, wait a couple of weeks and it'll get better.

edit: oh, you've already waited two weeks, should be right soon, give it another week or so and then go see a doctor but in my non-professional opinion, it'll sort itself out soon.

sweepy
    Free Member

its certainly a broken rib or something else,

Id wait and see

skiboy
    Free Member

broke two of mine 5 weeks ago,

hurt like buggery for the first two weeks, then started slowly getting
    better,
    couldn't sleep on my left for 4.5 weeks, hospital told me 6-8 weeks to heal,
    First trip back up the woods yesterday, and ribs are 98% ,

i takes a while,be patient and try and rest, you'll be fine soon enough,

good luck

BigJohn

hurt like buggery

Donor or recipient?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had exactly the same a couple of years ago – OK for a couple of days, then twang. Probably not broken, but cartilege or something. 3-4 weeks and you will be Ok

epicyclo

Just don't laugh 🙂

BigJohn

Ordinary painkillers do not touch broken ribs. Nobody will give you an X-ray or examination to check if it's broken, or you have just strained the intercostal muscles because the treatment is the same in both cases.

NSAIDs like Diclofenac tend to help so ask the doc for some.

jacko54321
    Free Member

rest ice and compresion, mainly rest tho

donsimon
    Free Member

I have taken painkillers called Acabel Rapid, don't know if you can get them in UK. Excellent for ribs as you need to breathe deeply to stave off infection, not a pleasant thing to do.

Docs can't really do anything, but I'd advise going just to rule out anything else.

soobalias
    Free Member

if its just badly bruised it will only hurt for up to four weeks, if it still hurts after four weeks, it was most likely broken. IME

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Broken rib?’ is closed to new replies.