Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Broken phone. What would the people of STW do?
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I bought a Somy M4 phone a few months ago. Seemed OK for the money but has now suffered a self cracking screen which a bit of googling shows Xperia phones are prone to. I’ve had a bit of back and forth with the vendor (pixmania, best avoided) but they really didn’t want to know and have now possibly gone into administration! Tried sony direct and they really don’t care despite this being a known issue and a even a feature on BBC watchdog. Took it up with paypal but they say as it is a warranty issue it isn’t covered by buyer protection. So now what?

1. Keep perusing with someone, not fun. Paypal were the only one to respond with any kind of positivity but they have closed the case
    2. Sell on ebay as is. Its working but has a fairly significant crack so will likely get naff all
    3. Fix it then sell it. New ones are way less than I paid so it’ll be a fair loss
    4. Pop it in a drawer with my 1998 Nokia and forget about it

Leaning towards 2 and moving on with life, although inertia might make 4 happen.

stumpy01

5 – fix it and stick it in a rubbery case to reduce the risk of it cracking again?

v8ninety

I’d do option 4. Option 2 is probably the most fiscally responsible, but I’m a bit of an ostrich sometimes.

nickjb
    Free Member

fix it and stick it in a rubbery case to reduce the risk of it cracking again?

It was sat on a table. Not sure how the case would help. Think it might be an overheating issue coupled with a very thin screen

stumpy01

nickjb – Member

It was sat on a table. Not sure how the case would help. Think it might be an overheating issue coupled with a very thin screen

Ah, in that case get rid. Probably 2.

Cougar

1) how many months is ‘a few’, more or less than 6?

2) I thought Pixmania were part of the Dixons / PC World group, seems unlikely that they’ve gone bust. Maybe hit their parent company if so?

kcal

household insurance? may not be able to claim if its a warranty problem mind you.

tempted to sell for spares / repairs and move on..

cp

I thought Pixmania were part of the Dixons / PC World group

they paid to get rid of them a couple of years ago. Owned by some German financial outfit how I think. They’ve struggled for years.

Anyway, back to the OP – are you otherwise happy with the phone? I’d repair it myself and keep using it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

1)

Pixmania seem to still be very much trading, troubled or not.

There are a few cases on MSE of Pixmania claiming to be in administration when they’re not to avoid refunds and some cash-back deals – but they are definitely not in administration as of Dec 2015.

If you can’t be bothered with the fight, then 2) or 4) – at a glance it’s going to cost you £80 to replace the screen, they’re selling for less than that on eBay so there’s no point fixing it just to sell it.

Or maybe have it repaired and just keep it, you never know the aftermarket screens might be more robust, they’re usually a bit thicker on iphones anyway.

irc

I would have said try your credit card for a refund through Section 175. But apparently this protection only applies if you buy direct from the retailer using your card. Not if you go through Paypal. And as you have found Paypal protection is less.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75

So if you buy another phone avoid Paypal?

billysugger
    Free Member

Just been through exactly the same. Local shop with dodgy reputation wanted £80 to fix. Tesco wanted £130 because it’s not covered by warranty as Sony has apparently not notified them of a fault. Sent it to Sony and took the chance they might fix it for free as the same thing happened to crack it, was on a table at the time. But no, palmed me of in computer says no style.

Ended up paying them £120 to repair. It was that our they charge me £20 to return it unfixed.

Sony, never again

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Personally I used to work in a job that was all about escalations. I bypass all this crap after the 2ND point of contact and send an email straight to the CEO of the company. In the last 6 months I’ve had 2 brand new Samsung s6 phones and a HTC a9 for free as a result. Back up all your statements made with legal legislation and keep it brief and to point.

Cougar

I’m sure that the CEO of Sony will be dealing with all complaints from end users personally.

“emails to the CEO” almost certainly go to some Customer Services Escalations team. Which may well yield great results, of course. But if you think a CEO of a multinational sits at his / her desk all day dealing with whiny emails from Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells you’re kidding yourself.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Second hand phone so very fee rights really. Get it fixed, chalk it down to experience, buy Apple next time ?

Cougar

Yes, because as everyone knows iPhones never ever go wrong or break, ever.

🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

Yes, because as everyone knows iPhones never ever go wrong or break, ever.

But when they do, you go to the Apple Store and get a new phone in about 15minutes.

And in my own experience, that can be outside of the warranty period too.

nickjb
    Free Member

I suppose when they cost 3 times as much Apple can afford to give two of them to some customers 😈

CountZero

Just been through exactly the same. Local shop with dodgy reputation wanted £80 to fix. Tesco wanted £130 because it’s not covered by warranty as Sony has apparently not notified them of a fault. Sent it to Sony and took the chance they might fix it for free as the same thing happened to crack it, was on a table at the time. But no, palmed me of in computer says no style.

Little wonder Sony are losing money, the only section actually making money is the camera division and that’s being set up as an independent entity, I believe to protect it if the ventilation gets polluted.
    Shame, they were really good once upon a time.

nealglover
    Free Member

ppose when they cost 3 times as much Apple can afford to give two of them to some customers

Buying “cheap” hasn’t worked out too well here though has it.

Self destructing phone after a few months, and company not honouring the warranty, awesome.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Pixmania’s site has some interesting words on their ‘warranty’ at http://www.pixmania.co.uk/terms-and-conditions-24-sp.html.

I’d comply with that, then escalate via small claims if need be.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Broken phone. What would the people of STW do?’ is closed to new replies.