• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Broken mount tabs on Garmin Edge 510. Any DIY fix advice?
  • mudsoul
    Free Member

While out on a ride today, I hit the Garmin with my knee resulting in both mount tabs on the back of the unit breaking off inside the SRAM quickview mount. It’s out of warranty. Has anyone successfully bodged something up to repair a similar unit mounting tabs failure?

I am thinking Sugru might work, but not sure if I could sculpt those tiny tabs to the right shape/thickness.

Any advice appreciated.

titusrider
    Free Member

No idea but – ditto here

Need to check if im still under warranty, i might be

TiRed

Ask Garmin nicely and they may replace it, or sell you a new case.

jamiep
    Free Member

There was an old thread on here probably a year ago with pictures showing how someone had done this. Afraid my memory is too hazy to recall what to search for though

Hooter
    Free Member

I’ve fixed an Edge 200 by bending paper clip wire into the shape of a tab, very carefully drilling holes where the tabs were and glueing the wire in place. Only needed to do it on one side/tab and its held fine for 6 months now. Sugru wouldn’t be strong enough imho

deadkenny
    Free Member

Do you use it to look at it while riding?

If not, i.e. just for tracking/strava/etc, chuck it in bag/pocket and ride.

Otherwise, don’t know but I’m sure a bodge is possible. Or find someone selling a bust up one for peanuts, and cannibalise it.

And how did you hit it with your knee? That’s an out front mount isn’t it?

sajama55
    Free Member

Happened to me , bust tab tried to fix tab did not last.
    Ended up gluing 510 and mount together , bands are fiddly to connect . Lasted a year so far.

petrieboy

I’d just epoxy it into the mount. Remove the rubber bands when you need to remove it.

iolo
    Free Member

Just as a matter of interest why would damage caused by the user be a warranty issue?
    Is it because you don’t believe it’s fit for purpose?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I did the same and Garmin replaced the case for me. I didn’t ask for a ‘warranty’ claim, just asked if I could buy a new case.

STATO
    Free Member

Racewaredirect.co sell a kit to repair them

Dibbs
    Free Member

Have a look at this thread:- https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?11539-Edge-500-Mount-Failure/page14&highlight=mount+break post #118.

I’ve seen quite a few of these “broken 500/510 lugs” threads on the Garmin forum and the “non Garmin” mount seems to be a common factor, maybe the Garmin mounts are designed to break before the 500/510 lugs.

wolly
    Free Member

Sugru? Amazing stuff

Edit should really read the whole op

mudsoul
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice.

@deadkenny: I am using a SRAM quickview mounted over the stem like so. I have a short stem so the mount protrudes slightly behind the stem topcap. I do like to look at the ride stats while riding especially on long rides. Right now I am putting it in the pack. I am keeping an eye out on eBay for faulty units to cannibalise but nothing so far.

@petrieboy & @sajama55: I have considered that, but would be nice to be able to repair it since I have two mounts on two bikes. I don’t want to have to remove the (SRAM quickview) mount everytime I want to use it on a different bike.

@iolo: I was not expecting that to be warrantied, but threads on the Garmin website suggest that it has happened.

@hotter: looks like someone managed to successfully use Sugru. I might just give it a go.

@STATO: I don’t see such a kit on their website, but I’ve emailed them to ask.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Did you see this option in the Garmin thread?

Buy one of these, file off the bottom and the bottom of the Garmin and stick the two together.

sram-quickview-computer-mount-adaptor

£3.49

mudsoul
    Free Member

So Raceware does sell a repair kit for the tabs (cheers for that STATO!)

Here is the part http://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/garmin-tab-repair/

You just glue it on top of the old one..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dSs9Ycl08[/video]

Dibbs
    Free Member

That’s neat!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Broken mount tabs on Garmin Edge 510. Any DIY fix advice?’ is closed to new replies.