Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Broken humerus – recovery time?
  • bluebird
    Free Member

I broke my humerus clean in two just underneath the neck of the bone towards the top of my arm. It's currently held together with 6 k wires and seems to be healing well. No pain, X rays looking good. It'll be 5 weeks on Saturday since I did it, so hopefully the k wires will come out within the next 2 weeks.

Has any one had a similar break? What sort of physio will I need after the wires are removed. How long does it take to get movement/strength back, and any idea how much time before my arm will be useable, ie good enough to snowboard.

Thanks

fennesz
    Free Member

Broken both. Was back at work after 3 weeks after the first one (sprial fracture) – which was 1 week too early. Second one (dislocated facture), was back at work after 5 weeks, but working for home for 2 weeks before that.

My only advice is pay privately for physio. The physio I had on the NHS was a waste of time (one session every 3 weeks!!!). Privately, I was going twice a week & made progress – slowly but surely.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Good enough to fall on a snowboard? Next northern hemisphere season.

Not a good place to have a (re)break.

ThePinkster

Broke mine about 11 years ago. Surgeon decided not to operate as it was a 'V' shaped break that was self supporting. Was off work for 2 months (finally ended up begging the doc to let me go back) however this may have been complicated by another medical condition which slowed down recovery.

Wasn't able to ride my bike properly for over 6 months which meant that I missed out on what was gonig to be my last season racing DH. Physio was very good but I was still geting a few problems up until about 4 years ago when I saw one at a different hospital who sorted it completely. not had any trouble with it since.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Ouch, feel for you mate. I've done collarbones and dislocated shoulder, fractured humerus was not funny (sorry)

(Abiding memory was refusing to let them cut my jersey off – I insisted on trying to raise my arm to let them lift it off, the pain caused me to pass out!).

As already said, physio is key. You've obviously been attending the Fracture Clinic – keep pressing them to sort physio, sooner the better.

I was incredibly lucky to have plenty (of even better, young, female) physio students who wanted to practice on me so I went twice a week, and used stretchy bands and weights at home and in the gym in between. (I was treated at Bath RUH, mostly by students from UWE).

Still took me 8 weeks to get back on the bike and then only gentle stuff (limited off-road). I think 9-12 weeks is realistic for snowboarding.

What kind of movement have you got now?

More than 10 years on I still get gip from mine. Chopped a tree up the other day and now paying the price (dull ache).

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Andy

bluebird
    Free Member

So, we're talking months rather than weeks for the arm to be useable in a sporting environment?

clarkpm – are you a medical person of some description? A year seems a long time for full recovery.

fennesz/pinkster – was the physio slow in terms of getting the arm useable again, or was it quick to get the arm moving but slow to get strength / full use?

bluebird
    Free Member

AnalogueAndy – I can support the weight of my arm. Fore arm and hand are week but fully mobile. I've began rotating my arm towards/away from my body. But I'm under strict instructions not to raise my arm – think chicken flapping wing movement.

I can tell the muscles are wasted and stiff, but it's difficult to guage how much movement I have with so much wire in my arm – I can feel it where it goes through the muscle when I move my arm.

I know 5 weeks is early days, and I'm anxious not to do anything to set my recovery back, but I'm keen to get the arm moving as soon as is possible.

I had 2 months lined up in Whistler, starting the 28th Dec, so I'm just wondering if it's at all likely I'll be able to do any of it at all.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

You're about where I was at that time. After 6 weeks I went back to work (desk job) but couldn't drive or do anything useful with it (but still started physio).

<i>I had 2 months lined up in Whistler, starting the 28th Dec, so I'm just wondering if it's at all likely I'll be able to do any of it at all. </i>

Based upon how much better you feel after 5 weeks I'm guessing you already know the answer to that one 🙁

Take advice from the Consultant, like you've said don't push it. I'd stick by 9-12 weeks before you're able to safely get on a board.

I'd say if you make fantastic progress you might just catch the end.

Edit:

Re 'full strength' – I'd be interested to hear what others experience is. I've never managed to get full strength or movement back – my reach up behind my back is about 80% of normal – the physio said I'd have problems if I wore a bra!

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Yes.

Impact shock loads from falls are factors of 10 times normal use and non-impact exercise. Loads of physio etc will serve you well but the real risk is in the unexpected.

Only your orthopaedic surgeon will know how well you are healing. Take their advice.

Good luck!

bluebird
    Free Member

Cheers all for the info.

I've never broken a bone before, just dislocated my arm and a couple of ribs. Naively I thought 2-3 weeks after the wires come out and I'd be back to normal. I can't ever remember taking more than 3 or 4 weeks to recover from anything. I had no intention at snowboarding as I would normally, but even taking it easy sounds like it's not worth the risk.

I guess my next meeting with the consultant will confirm all this.

Oh well, there's always next season.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Broken humerus – recovery time?’ is closed to new replies.