Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • broken hub
  • stavaigan
    Free Member

Please see photo. This ever happened to anyone? Basically rotor bolts have sheared out and snapped their housings on the hub. I think this has happened as the bolts have worked themselves loose and I have braked hard on the trail. Bent and snapped the rotor as well. LBS say not covered by warranty as down to the owner to check rotor bolts as part of routine maintenance. ANy thouhgts on that? Also any idea how easy to replace the hub on the existing wheel, or am I better buying a new wheel? And any recommends on what wheel/hub to get where this less likely to happen again. Existing hub is fulcrum, bike is a Lapierre Zesty.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Photo not working.

Generally failure due to bolts working loose is down to the owner. Not much chance of warranty really.

2 Options for replacement
    Replace with identical hub – no need for new spokes etc.
    Replace with different hub – new spokes too so a bit more expensive but not a bad upgrade.

As for new wheels probably a Hope ProII Evo on a EN521 (burly) or 719 or similar.

stavaigan
    Free Member

Apologies Mike tried to edit post before sending, must have ran out of time. Didnt realise photo had to link to a web site.Cheers for the recommends.

takisawa2

Swapping hubs is not difficult. Get the Roger Musson pdf book download. Very few tools needed as it can be done in the frame quite easily, although a wheel jig is a bit better.
    You’ll obviously need the tyre, tube, rim tape & cassette off.
    Tool wise a good quality spoke key & a nipple driver. You can grind up a nipple driver from a flat bladed screwdriver if needed.
    Methodical is the key.

What hub is it ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘broken hub’ is closed to new replies.