Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Broken foot (metatarsul?) anybody any experience?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Bashed the instep of my foot rockclimbing this evening – took a lead fall when a hold spun, so no idea what I actually did as you’re concentrating on other things at the time, and I didn’t even realise I’d done anything until a few minutes later when the instant adrenalin rush wore off. I climbed on it again a couple of times, it was only a little uncomfortable, but now it’s hurting to walk, quite a lot of pain using the clutch pedal and throbbing whilst I sit here typing.

So have I broken something or is it likely just badly bruised and I should MTFU? Yes I know you can’t diagnose stuff properly over the internet, but does that sound like the sort of symptoms I should bother A&E with? Unfortunately the local minor injuries where I’d normally head has no X-Ray over the weekend, so it’s hours of waiting at the big hospital where they have more important stuff to deal with.

Phil_H

Bilateral fracture of the 5th metatarsal.
    I was unable to weight bare & even touching it was agony.
    If I were you I’d be off to A&Efor an X-ray.

Despite being both feet early treament meant I was back to relative normality in 8 weeks.

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice – don’t want to go and waste my and their time. Will see how it feels in the morning.

Other slight complication is a hernia op in 2 weeks – I wonder what their reaction would be to a foot in plaster (if that’s what they do?)

roper
    Free Member

I broke my 5th rock climbing. My toe just flapped about and when I tried to move it, nothing happened. I also had some screws fitted as it was a spiral fracture which left the bone in 3 bits.
    I was gently running again within 3 months, including recovery from the opp.
    Good luck with yours

Phil_H

Mine weren’t plastered, just 4 weeks in moon boots & 4 weeks in sensible shoes.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, the hernia people won’t be bothered then – I don’t need to walk for that! Happily if it is broken, the recovery for both should be concurrent.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

If it’s a sharp, soon as you put weight on it feels like very hot needles being pushed all the way up the foot into the ankle, yes, sadly it sounds like you’ve got a trip to the fracture clinic on the cards. Best time to hit A&E is 7/8 am at the weekend – most of the drunks & fighters have been cleared by that time and you should be pretty straight through. In the meantime, ice and elavete it to suppress the swelling

bikebouy
    Free Member

I broke all mine in a windsurfing incident a few years ago. My foot got caught in the strap whilst looping and I landed heavy, in my right foot. Jumped in the van, drove home in my wetsuit but by the time I’d got back I couldn’t get my suit off as my foot swelled up so bad.
    So, so I sat on the sofa wondering what to do, by this time the pain was excruciating, eventually drove to A&E and came out with a boot and off work for 6weeks. By week 3 I’d had enough and got the moon boot off every night and started to weight bare the foot, then jumped on the bike and did light riding.
    Back fully functional by wk 7’ish.

aracer
    Free Member

The good news is its not broken, just ligament damage the nurse reckons. The better news is that was the triage nurse so I didnt even have to wait long (or at least it would have been if it wasnt that my lift wasnt coming back for a couple of hours anyway). I would feel guilty about wasting their time, but wouldnt have known where to press to be sure it wasnt a broken bone, and whilst I could have got that diagnosis at minor injuries rather than A&E, I didnt know that before I went.

Sadly the two weeks suggested recovery takes me up to my hernia op, so thats me out until mid November anyway – though if its not broken I’ll probably try kayaking in few days.

thebees
    Free Member

I broke my 5th metatarsal four weeks ago on the first day of our family holiday ! Done it by rolling my foot over down a pothole in the dark. The ligament tore away from the bone, taking a piece of bone with it. This is called an avulsion fracture and is really common with footballers. They x rayed it, strapped it up in an ugly velcro sandal and sent me away with crutches.
    I spent two weeks on crutches with no weight bearing. Then, on week three,I threw away the crutches and hobbled, getting progressively better. On week four I could walk ok and would now say I am 90% better.
    Really pleased with my recovery and can now ride my bike.

I would push for an x ray if I were you. A few years ago I was in a car pile up and my hand/wrist swelled up like a balloon. After being told by the paramedic at the scene and also a nurse at my local hospital that it wasn’t broken, I went back got an X-ray and confirmed that it was in fact broken. I was then given treatment and physiotherapy accordingly.
    Hope you heal soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Broken foot (metatarsul?) anybody any experience?’ is closed to new replies.