Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Broken Alivio Shifter.
  • andycs

Got an old P5 Orange and the front shifter will change up the rings ok but when the trigger is released it releases all the way back. Taken shifter apart and nothing seems to be broken. Shifters are combined with brake levers, but rear is 7 speed and cannot find any to buy either as a pair or seperatly. Anyone got any ideas?

poly
    Free Member

I think I have an 8 speed (cable disk brakes?) in the loft if that would help at all?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Sometimes the grease gets too sticky and the pawls get stuck in the open position

Flush the shifter with WD40, GT85 or some other light spray lube to thin the grease out, it may come back to life after a while if you keep shifting & spraying.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

+1 for Orangista. I’ve had to strip and re-lubricate plenty of older Shimano shifters for customers because the grease has turned to glue with age.

ratherbeintobago

I think I have an 8 speed (cable disk brakes?) in the loft if that would help at all?

IIRC cable discs & v-brakes have the same cable pull so it should be fine; cantis & road brakes pull less (which is why Avid make a special version of the BB7 for road use).

Andy

andycs

Thanks will try WD 40 and see what happens.

andycs

IT WORKS!!

4ndyB
    Free Member

8)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Broken Alivio Shifter.’ is closed to new replies.