Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Broke my Whyte 19. What next?
  • nacho
    Free Member

I have (had?) one of the original 2005 Whyte 19 HT’s. It has been a great bike and I loved it. Went to clean it this morning after last nights ride and the frame is cracked on the weld where the TT and ST meet. Gutted. Now I need to buy another frame, ideally to run 130-140mm forks (had stepped down Rev’s on the 19)
    First thoughts are Cotic Soul but I ride my bikes fairly hard (AKA clumsily!) and am worried about all the scratches and dings rusting on a steel bike. Is that silly? Any HT alu frame recommendations? Thinking maybe a Chameleon?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Stiffee/Handjob were on CRC pretty cheap, that would be my choice. Got a Chameleon but i think they’re a bit overpriced new compared to the On-one stuff, but its been my main bike since 2007 without issue.

honourablegeorge

Get a Soul.

Del

thanks to CEN testing most stuff you buy should be pretty resilient these days.
    edit: no warranty on the whyte frame? thought they were lifetime warranty?

tony24
    Free Member

Not thought about a carbon 456? 140mm suits perfect you wont break it and it puts up with rock strikes etc with no worrys.

nacho
    Free Member

Cheers Del, will look into that!
    tony24 – not thought about carbon, don’t really fancy it, will it really handle rock strikes?

br
    Free Member

7 years of, as you say, hard riding, isn’t bad – what about another Whyte?

jwmlee
    Free Member

Expensive but what about a Ti? On One do a great (according to reviews) Ti 456. I really like my Cube Elite HPT – light, strong and flexible in the right places.

nacho
    Free Member

Just called LBS, might be covered under Whytes lifetime warranty.
    I LOVE WHYTE 🙂

Del

8)

rickon
    Free Member

Ride hard? Cotic BFe. £300.

2 year warranty, made to be battered, can take up to 160mm forks.

Comfy, fast, light’ish, hooligan.

daftvader
    Free Member

Id also recomend a chameleon as thats what ive got. Yes its expensive, but im a hard riding bloke and its done me very well. As rickon said tho a bfe is also a top choice. Would have had one but the lead time was toooooo long, did have a good look at one at eighteen in hope. Very nice. Fingers crossed on the warranty…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Whyte/ATB have one of the best warranty departments out there. When a friend killed his Wolf Ridge, way beyond any normal warranty, they sent a replacement frame straight away. With a new shock, seatpost collar and headset. Quality.

tony24
    Free Member

Nacho the downtube of the c456 is carbon and kevlar blend fir strength and shaped to a point to deflect them had mine well over a year had plenty of rock strikes and its totally fine.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Is it the 19 steel that you have? I know of 4 people who have all had one break in the same place. Although not the same place as yours. ATB/Whyte have replaced them all with no fuss/issues.
    Hopefully they’ll sort yours too.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba HX1 Bargain at £299, and you won’t be able to break it!

boxfish
    Free Member

7 years is pretty good. Mine cracked in the same place after 18 months. Well worth contacting Whyte though to see what they say. I had a replacement arrive within 3 or 4 days.

matt_outandabout
    bigbloke
    Free Member

mastakillah……..where on the steel frame as i have one?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Warranty I’d have thought. Failing that, a BFe.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I love my Whyte 19’s (2005 Alu SS, Race Alu Carbon seat stays and Ti SS)and haven’t been able to bring myself to part with any of them 😐
    I was riding my Race on the Quantocks today for the first time in ages,and it made me realize what I’d been missing.

The earlier ones are much better looking IMHO.

nacho
    Free Member

Well, apparently the warranty was 5 years and I have owned mine 6 but the distributor have done me a good deal on a crash replacement for the new 905 frame. I do agree Dibbs I prefer the look of the older ones

mastakillah
    Free Member

Big bloke ; they’ve all gone on the drive side. On the weld where the chain stay meets the dropout. They’ve changed it now. Two lads at work both have the new frame and they are both fine now (6 months on) I think anything after 2011 is the new one. Don’t quote me on that though!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Thanks for that, think i know the weld you refer too will watch for that. Mine is a 2011, was it sorted then or after 2011 for the 2012 model?

mastakillah
    Free Member

Pretty sure the 2011 is all sorted. I’m off work today, I’ll double check tomorrow(Friday) and let you know.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Ooh, its now out of stock.

…and on its way to meeeeeeeeee!

mwahahahhaahaha 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Broke my Whyte 19. What next?’ is closed to new replies.