Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Broadband without the BT line – what are my options??
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

So we’re thinking we could do without the BT landline as we never use it to make calls we only have it to have broadband, we have unlimited on our mobiles, so to cut down on expenses we thought can we get rid of the landline and it’s rental charges, but what are the options for having broadband? I’m no tech expert and there seems to be a lot of options out there, I’m guessing some sort of fibre optic cable – but I don’t think we have that in our area, or mobile broadband – but I’m guessing that could be slower and depends on signal?

Anyone done this can can recommend a good provider, do you still get good connections, any problems?

Don’t think we need a TV package as we tend not to watch much but would be good to stream films??

ourmaninthenorth

Virgin
    Fibre to the Premises (FTTP from the handful of ISPs that offer it – not the same as BT Infinity or similar products)
    Satellite
    Mobile

The thing about the line rental, is that it’s not for making calls – it’s the same line that your broadband comes down. You paty line rental because the lines are rented by the ISPs (including BT Retail) from BT Openreach.

Cougar

http://www.samknows.com will tell you what cable / LLU providers service your property. If Virgin isn’t amongst them then you’re snookered for all practical purposes.

Satellite can be fast but has horrific latency (because your data has to go into geostationary orbit and back). 3G might be suitable for lower usage, with a sensible data plan?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Basically only Virgin :-/
    BUT – high installation costs, etc put me off.
    I searched for a long time and there is no real choice – they have you by the balls…
    I went with EE as an existing customer and paid the line rental upfront.
    £2.50 per month BB and £11 line rental.
    So for £13.50 I get 6-9M speed, unlimited data and no issues. Just plugged it in and it worked.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Virgin is your best bet.
    I was convinced that I was going to do without the phoneline when we moved into our new place last month, but when it came down to it, it just wasn’t worth it. You’ll pay a significant premium on broadband only versus with a phone line- For example Virgin will charge you £25/month normal charge for Broadband only versus £15/month for broadband when taken into a phone line (so only a fiver cheaper once you add in the £15/month line rental). Factor in the fact that most of their big discounts only apply to broadband with phone (at the moment they will do it for £7.50 for first 6 months if taking a phoneline, whereas broadband only is only a £5 discount for 3 months) plus the fact an upfront payment on “line rental saver” will reduce phoneline rental significantly, you may as well take the phone.

ericemel
    Free Member

For me it was cheaper to get a complete discounted virgin package ie Phone, BB and TV and hot have the phone connected than it was to get the same BB and TV package on their own.

Go figure.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You have to rent the BT line realistically – £15 a month – but you dodn’t have to make any calls. You can choose the provider seperately as you probably know.

The other alternative is mobile – I have a 3 mobile wifi device which works well. It was £75 upfront and £15 a month. But IMO it’s not a complete broadband replacement, speed is ok but download limits are an issue.

unovolo
    Free Member

Virgin is the main option.

Did look at a 4G home broadband but theres no one currently providing in the area where I live (Mobile companies withstanding but costs are ridiculous and I wont use EE and no Vodafone signal where I’am)

Found a company called VISPA that seemed OK for the above but don’t cover my area currently.

Failing that its looking at the cheaper options for line rental plus BB.

Then you have to factor in reliability and quality.

I went down this route recently and I ended up with a company based in Sheffield called XILO.

Currently paying £21 a month for line rental inc BB with 50GB data plan(plus unlimited data outside of peak times).

Looked at PlusNet,Tesco,Talktalk etc but all seem to have very mixed/poor reviews.

maccruiskeen

A 3g dongle is only a tenner and you usually get a months PAYG data on it – test it out and see if its up to snuff. There’ll be a bit of research/guess work as to which provider is best for you though. How good they are comes partly down to how good your signal is locally but how and when your neighbours are using 3G too. In residential area 3G can be fine all day then fall over when everyone’s kids get in from school – the opposite is the case in commercial areas. I use a 3G dongle when I’m working on location and if there are offices near by its can be all but unusable all day then suddenly springs into life at five past five.

nixie

Postoffice pay a year up front is £10 a month, their BB is £8.50. so for £3.50 more than BT line rental you have both.

Other options would be to find out in your neighbours (whos router you can see) have an unlimited package and see if you can bung them say £5 a month to use it too.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Or Plusnet….
    I paid c.£130 up front for line rental then £1.99 a month for unlimited package (not fibre), and £75 cashback through Quidco!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Broadband without the BT line – what are my options??’ is closed to new replies.