Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Broadband speed issue
  • dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Just gone from Sky copper crap speed to BT infinity 80Meg download which im pretty happy with, although i have drop outs randomly which BT are investigating.

Im getting approx 75Meg consistently with the ethernet cable connected from Hub to Laptop but when i remove the cable and go only WiFi the speed drops to 20Meg, is this right or acceptable ?.

Note : nothing else connected to WiFi apart from laptop.

somouk
    Free Member

WIFI is one of those things that is very dependant on environment variables.

What are you using to test the connection? What speed of wifi are you running and how far from the hub are you?

Have you ran a wifi sniffer program such as Inssider to identify if you are channel clashing with others in the area, don’t believe BT’s rubbish about the router finding a clear channel.

If possible get the router to run 5 Ghz wifi and move compatible devices on to that.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Im using various way of testing line speed including OOKLA, BTWholesale etc and all giving approx same results.

My BT home hub 5 is running 802.11ac and is sitting connected to the master socket only (no other phone lines connected) and ive tried sitting it in various positions around the livingroom, all giving me the same speed results. Ive also moved position of laptop and mobile phone around the house when testing, again all giving approx same result so im pretty sure its not environmental.

Ive never tried Inssider though so thats a nice suggestion, will get on it. Ive also never faffed with modem settings etc before so will look into that.
    Cheers

Cougar

Well, that’s two separate issues.

The line dropping may be because the connection is in a ‘learning’ mode to ascertain the best connection speed (ADSL does this, not sure offhand if it also applies to Infinity).

Most Wifi is inherently slower than wired; but, what Somo said. ^^

cranberry
    Free Member

My BT home hub 5 is running 802.11ac

What are the wifi capabilities of the phone and laptop ? They may well be the speed limiting factor.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

The laptops a few years old right enough but the phones a Samsung S4 so can do 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

somouk
    Free Member

Bear in mind just because it says it’s AC it might not be running full AC due to number of antennas etc.

I don’t know enough about the router and or phone to say it would be a limiting factor but I’m sitting on a router that does N wireless at 450 Mbps at 5 Ghz and a macbook and can max out my broadband line the same as on the cable.

Will most likely be interference but don’t think you would hit 75 Mbps on anything but the N or AC and again it depends on the specific implementation.

Cougar

I don’t know if it’s still true with 802.11ac, but mixing modes in 802.11n and earlier routers (eg, having both ‘n’ and ‘g’ devices connected) can seriously affect your connection speed across all wireless devices.

Try switching everything else off and test your devices one by one, maybe?

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Cheers folks, im clearly in need of reading up on these settings then…….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Broadband speed issue’ is closed to new replies.