Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Broadband Provider (BT Content)
  • Freester

I live out in the sticks. Until the last week or so we’ve only had ADSL available (I get a whopping 9 Mbps down / 1Mbps up).

Finally FTTC is available. I am currently in a contract with BT that expires in Jan. If I want to upgrade to the fastest unlimited Infinity package on BT my monthly bill will go up over 20 p/m.

I think BT have me by the short and curlies. No offers available. Either take the package offered, wait for an offer, or buy myself out of the contract (so at least 3/4 months @35 a month).

Plus net offer similar Fibre deal for a tenner a month less than BT but by my maths it ain’t worth buying myself out of the contract.

What are my options? Cough up and wait for a deal and re-sign. Wait for them to put my rental up so I can get out of the contract?

Have I missed anything?

simondbarnes

Just wait until Jan, it’s not far off.

martinhutch

Why do you need fibre right now? Surely you’ll be in a better position if you wait until January then get it installed by whichever provider tickles your fancy at that point?

Then you can give BT the heave-ho, which is what I would do, given half a chance.

ourmaninthenorth

I live out in the sticks. Until the last week or so we’ve only had ADSL available (I get a whopping 9 Mbps down / 1Mbps up).

There’s no need to show off (that you get get 9Mb or that you have the option of FTTC).

Plus net offer similar Fibre deal for a tenner a month less than BT but by my maths it ain’t worth buying myself out of the contract.

Loads of providers offer the same product that BT call Infinity. It’s just fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). BT Plusnet (BT’s other broadband provider) sells it, as do Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone, EE etc.

Just wait until January and go with whoever’s cheapest.

the-muffin-man

Have I missed anything?

When fibre 1st arrived around my way I waited as I’d only got 4 months left on my contract.

When it came to changing all the available fibre lines had been taken due to large demand, so I had to wait another 6 months for them to add more capacity.

Just a thought!

Cougar

Whereabouts in the sticks? Are you in B4RN’s catchment area?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d be asking myself whether the need for faster broadband now is worth the additional cost, as opposed to waiting. For example, if you work at home and are regularly struggling with poor internet speed, it might be worth taking the hit to escape your current contract. If this is just so that you can stream 4K TV instead of “just” SD, it’s perhaps a luxury you can wait for.

Jamie
    Free Member

When it came to changing all the available fibre lines had been taken due to large demand, so I had to wait another 6 months for them to add more capacity.

On that note, if you pop your details in here: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

You can see the availability/capacity of your local cabinet.

Freester

Cheers all.

There’s no need to show off (that you get get 9Mb or that you have the option of FTTC).

Sorry!

This is exactly what’s going through my mind. That and coupled with I may be changing my role which would mean more working at home. Whether I can cope with the current download speeds I don’t know coz I don’t do it much right now.

Whereabouts in the sticks? Are you in B4RN’s catchment area?

Nope.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Broadband Provider (BT Content)’ is closed to new replies.