Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Broadband MAC code – not recognised by new provider
  • cinnamon_girl

The problem: have been given MAC code by existing broadband provider and passed this to potential new provider. New provider does not recognise this code so I queried it with existing provider and was told it was correct.

Now of course I could be cynical and think that BT are being difficult as they don't want me to leave and have offered a reduction on my monthly broadband charge.

So … what I would like to know, pretty please, if anyone has a recent MAC code, does it consist of a mixture of numbers, capital letters and lower case letters?

I suspect that it's the lower case letters that could be causing the non-recognition.

Thank you so much. 🙂

geoffj

The MAC address belongs to the modem/router you plug into the phone socket. It should be on a sticker on the bottom of it.

Some modems/routers allow you to change the MAC address, and so the one on yours may be different (unlikely), but a hard (factory) reset should put it back to what is on the sticker.

HTH

geoffj

The MAC address belongs to the modem/router you plug into the phone socket. It should be on a sticker on the bottom of it.

That is the code which your broadband provider will need – sorry, I should have made it clearer.

allthepies
    Free Member

hardware MAC address isn't the same thing as a broadband transfer MAC code.

http://www.broadbandwatchdog.co.uk/migration-authority-code.php
    http://www.btbroadbandinformation.com/mac/

Perhaps BT have given you a hardware MAC address ? (looks like 01:23:45:67:89:ab )

jam-bo

sorry, I should have made it clearer.

shame you didnt…

cinnamon_girl

Thanks very much for replies and links. Yes, it's definitely the broadband transfer one.

allthepies – no, it isn't like that.

Cougar

My money would be on it being a transcription error. Somewhere between provider A, you, and provider B, someone somewhere can't speak / read / type / listen properly.

If you've got it by email, keep kicking it to your new provider until you get someone with an IQ over that of a warm glass of water. Verbally, spell out letters phonetically ("A" for "alpha" etc).

geoffj

Sorry for confusing the issue – CG 😕

Cougar

Worth noting also, a UK provider is legally bound to provide you with a valid MAC within five working days of you asking for one. It might be worth reminding your current provider of this. (-:

A MAC is valid for 30 days from date of issue, worth bearing in mind if this drags on. If you don't get migrated within 30 days, you'll need a new MAC. The new provider is legally bound to migrate you within 30 days of receipt of the valid MAC.

cinnamon_girl

Cougar – thanks, that's a good idea. Better hunt for my diplomacy skills. 😉 To be honest, I'm surprised that BT have actually provided it within 5 days.

geoff – no problem!

Cougar

I'd expect BT to be pretty good at it by now, given how much practice they must have had… (-:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Broadband MAC code – not recognised by new provider’ is closed to new replies.