Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Brizzle City Centre – where for good beer?
  • IHN

I'm meeting a friend for a few beers in Brizzle this evening, where would locals recommend for a decent pint? Ideally near Broad Quay, and easyish to find.

Cheers!

nickjb
    Free Member

Head down King Street. There are a few pubs with good beer (King Bill, Royal Navy Volunteer, Llandoger trow), or head right to the end to the Apple for some cider. Good curry house and late night pizza in Renatta's too.

TooTall
    Free Member

Look at the Bath Ales website – they have a couple of pubs down there. Welsh Back is where Apple is moored – Mud Dock upstairs is a lovely place to have a snack and a nice view from the deck for a beer. I tend to stay in the burbs for alcohol-related fun.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nick is right on the money. Waterside bars on the dock tend to get mobbed by chavs.

Eccles
    Free Member

Billy's good for sam smiths, the Navy Vol will have duff karaoke, and the beer in the llandogger was always awful. Maybe they've improved?

If you can be arsed walking up a hill and want the best beer, go 500m up Colston Street and go to Colston Yard. Best selection of bitter, lager and belgian niceness you'll find. Good food too. Easy to find, well worth it.

IHN

Waterside bars on the dock tend to get mobbed by chavs

Yeah, fully aware of that.

What's the White Lion like, the Wickwar brewery place?

Eccles
    Free Member

Tiny, in a word. Haven't been there in an age, seem to recall it being quite nice.

deluded
    Free Member

Get a taxi to the Coronation Tap in Clifton and get some zider down ye.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What's the White Lion like, the Wickwar brewery place?

Reminds me of a "proper" London pub if that makes any sense? Quite salt of the earth with more character than many of the faceless chain pubs in the city.

nickjb
    Free Member

Never seen karaoke in the Navy Vol. They don't have music at all. Its a good place to go to sit and chat. Good range of beer and the landlord will happily let you have a taster.

Eccles
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmmm beer

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The Shakespeare on Princes Street is nice.

Jolsa

The Shakespeare on Princes Street is nice

plus they sell Sahara nuts…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

All good advice above 🙂 The Hatchet by the ice rink has a lot of 'character'

Jolsa

'Start the bus' at the bottom of Corn street is good, can be a bit trendy though. The main strip of bars along the waterfront can be chavvy, but The Watershed bar provides a haven of peace with a nice atmosphere. The one at the end with sofas outside (think it's called The Harbourside) has just opened and is good.

TooTall
    Free Member

Don't listen to ADH – he is so fresh-faced I doubt he gets served anywhere!

I was in the Hatchett last night – was OK but only had 1 real ale on.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

The Hatchet on rock night (most Fridays and Saturdays TBH) can be mental…. and the separate club/bar upstairs is nice when they open it for club nights. Oh, and as per local legend "…the front door, beneath the paint and tar is covered with human skin…".

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

but The Watershed bar provides a haven of peace with a nice atmosphere

Good call. Nice bar, decent beer, nice food (if you don't mind waiting). Running the gauntlet of chavtasia outside afterwards can be a bit lairy mind. Otherwise I tend to avoid the centre in the evenings, its a Fred Perry and vomit riotorium.

Further out Bag O Nails on the Anchor Rd/Jacobs Wells Rd roundabout is nice, though approx the size of half a broom cupboard, as are the Hope & Anchor and Eldon House further up.

deluded
    Free Member

its a Fred Perry and vomit riotorium.

LOL 😀

rondo101
    Free Member

It's the Harbour Festival tonight, so the centre (especially the waterfront) will be heaving – although probably not as lairy as it can be on a normal weekend night given the number of families that will be around.

The Ostrich, The Cottage & The Nova Scotia all serve good beer (thatchers Cheddar Valley at the nova), are by the water & far enough away from the festival to be not too busy.

Or go to Queen Square & watch DJ Derek do his thang.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

One thing about the middle of Bristol – do NOT leave any bike worth more than £50 anywhere – even using 40 of the latest and bestest D locks – it WILL get nicked.

Same goes for the Cottage car park (used to live next to it) for bikes or cars – dreadful tealeaf magnet.

One of a big reasons we moved to Abbots Leigh/semi countryside before returning to Cornwall – car and bike crime is out of control in Bristol.

Starrman28
    Free Member

I was in the Llandoger trow last night and the Butcombe was okay…………I think 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Brizzle City Centre – where for good beer?’ is closed to new replies.