Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Brits abroad…….
  • alpin
    Free Member

seriously… where does this leave me and others like me? resident in Germany for years.

short of applying for German citzenship or marrying the GF (niether of which are particularly appealing atm, unless Bavaria chooses to detatch itself from the Federal Rpublik, in which case i’ll become an honary Bavarian).

#limbo

donald
    Free Member

Nobody knows

Gary_M
    Free Member

seriously… where does this leave me and others like me?

At the moment, in a state of uncertainty. And that’s as good as it’s gonna get for a couple of years. There was no ‘if we decide to leave this is what will happen’ plan.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Don’t know really , have a job here in Sweden , sociall security number , children and a ‘sambo’ I.e I live with my partner so have same legal rights as if married . Sure it’ll be fine. Feel quite smug I’m here actually

leffeboy

It’s one of the things that have to be negotiated in the exit so no one knows

Edukator
    Free Member

While the UK is still in the EU you can apply for double nationality and not have to give up your English nationality, after that who knows. I’d apply, you’ve nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

First Google result is more use than my ramblings.

grtdkad

Yup 5-million Brits living as ‘immigrants’ abroad, just we choose to call you / them “ex-pats”

iolo
    Free Member

I’m in Bugenland, Austria. Hopefully it won’t affect me too much. I’m a house owner registered as my main place of residence, have social security number and pay Austrian health insurance. I would contemplate citizenship but I’ve not been here long enough and don’t want to marry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It will be a few years before you know as it wil all be part of the negotiations,.

If you want to stay in germany apply now is the most obvious advice or marry your GF

richc
    Free Member

Google non-EU economic migrant, as that’s what’s you will be.

alpin
    Free Member

i suppose if i marry my GF then i could use the monetary gifts to help replace the thousands i have lost over night….

will look into dual citizenship….

rs
    Free Member

maybe they’ll start making us ‘ex-pats’ pay uk tax to boost their budget! goes to find citizenship form!

dovebiker

We’ll probably end up with a tax system like the US where if you’re not careful, you’ll pay tax twice i.e. country of domicile plus the US. They’ve already $crewed-us over, so why not charge those living in Johnny-foreigner land too? Meanwhile, the Tories will hand-out Non-Dom status to all their chums…

MSP

I am probably going to apply for German citizenship, I am worried that the rules may change quite quickly on that being granted.

I work for a UK company at ESA and am also worried about the UK’s future participation on such joint ventures, I think the way brexit has been sold to the public must call into doubt continued UK involvement.

However this works out, now I will be cutting back on all luxuries and saving every penny I can until at least the uncertainty is over.

Maybe when uncivil war breaks out I will be granted refuge status.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’ve lived abroad for the last 5 years and am moving back in a month 🙁 luckily I’m eligible for an Irish passport so I’ll be getting that sorted to be able to get out again whenever I want/need to. I feel for all of you without that option.

alpin
    Free Member

i guess this also puts a stop on the idea of setting up a Ltd Co. and operating in Germany…. bugger.

@dovebike…. already pay enough tax here without having to feed the UK system, too.

MSP

I think the American system is that you pay US tax above the local rate, ie if you are taxed at 25% locally and would be expected to pay 30% in the US then you pay 5% US tax. I am already paying tax at a higher rate in Germany than I would be in the UK.

alpin
    Free Member

yup… German tax rates are crazy.

remember the GF telling her old colleagues in London what she was earning. they were almost blown away. they almost fell over when told how much of that landed on her bank account. something like 45% gone before you know it.

being self-employed is worse. you see all that money on your bank account and then the Finanzamt want crazy sums at random intervals based on what you earnt three years ago.

kinda sucks.

MSP

German tax rates seem crazy, but IMO are worth paying, value and cost are not the same thing, and I think I get a lot of benefits and facilities for my tax.

martinhutch

Was toying with the idea of seeing if my kids fancied a European university when the time comes – is that likely to be a non-starter now because of prohibitive expense and visa issues?

ocrider

Naturalisation for me. Theres too much riding on this for the children’s future not to, but I’ve been toying with the idea for a few years now, so it’s as if there’s a reason to stop procrastinating and get on with it. It’s not like I’m planning on ever moving back to the UK.

wicki
    Free Member

So I am an unemployed working age male living with a French woman in France I guess I am in the merde?

andytherocketeer

it’s either german citizenship or go home on the dole
    clearly would rather it be neither

they’ve got to work out what the frick they’re going to do with 60M UK resident brits first, before they worry about us “immigrants going overseas stealing everyone’s jobs” 😉

have to wait and see. see where is going to be worth going economically (damn economic migrants 🙄 ). and as ESA contractor contracting on an ahem EU contract (yup my friends tell me EU and ESA are totally independent 🙄 ), what will my eligibility be?

andyl
    Free Member

^ now your name makes sense

Edukator
    Free Member

So I am an unemployed working age male living with a French woman in France I guess I am in the merde?

Check out any sexless marriage or work thread on this forum and you’ll realise that compared to many you are in clover. 8)

senorj

I’ve just spent some time with my Spanish cousins ,one of them tells me that the cleaners at the hotel where she works say that the Brits are “sucio”! The cheek of it.
    Makes you think.

BruceWee

I’m eligible for permanent residency in Norway so I’ll probably get onto that sharpish.

Or I’ll marry my Italian girlfriend and get an Italian passport.

On the other hand I’m Scottish so I might not have to worry about it if Nicola can fix it so that we stay in while England and Wales leave.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Brits abroad…….’ is closed to new replies.